none
Use USB for secondary MDT driver source?? RRS feed

• Question

• So I have my MDT environment setup with drivers for our vast many "standard" machines.  I tried searching and was unable to find a question like mine asked before.  

The issue I am coming across is the need to support one-off machines or a special machine on a temporary basis.  Instead of having to unofficially support the unsupported, it would be great if the tech could just download the drivers on a USB stick (extracted), boot up MDT, and MDT finds the USB therefore allowing temporary support of something not officially in MDT.

Has anyone come across a way of doing this?  or ideas?

*Edit: To explain a bit more the workflow would be this:

1. Network or ISO boot off of LiteTouch Boot image
    2. During boot up process USB drive is detected and drivers are found/used
    3. During Driver Copy in the Preinstall phase drivers found valid on the USB are used

If not currently possible without heavy modification, does anyone else think this would be a useful feature for maybe the next version of MDT??

• Edited by jmascote Friday, November 14, 2014 8:05 PM more explaination
    Friday, November 14, 2014 7:39 PM

All replies

• Why not just inject the drivers if not that significant and have them available in the driverstore when the system comes up?  Pnputil will inject the driver, the system will install it if it finds a matching driver in the store.
    Friday, November 14, 2014 8:45 PM
  • I have a 30 site global DFS-R replicated environment.  The one-offs can really add up, so does the replication time.  It would be great to find a method to just pull the drivers off a USB stick.
    Monday, November 17, 2014 4:34 PM