New installation win7 32 bit but cPU high and laptop hot RRS feed

• Question

• I've upgraded an Acer from XP to win 7 home premium 32 bit, got an expert to install the drivers, and noticed the system was slow and  the laptop got hot after a short while (30 minutes).  Looked at CPU which varied between 9 and 65%, average about 45%, and while trying to determine the effect of changing from Aero to basic  desktop, got it up to 100%. Removed most gadgets on the desktop.  All to no avail.

Laptop doesn't feel reliable anymore.  Didn't recognise an external drive twice (paging error) and it's generally unhappy. 

I saw most of the CPU was being hogged by good old searchfilterhost.exe. I thought that had been resolved with win 7.  I studied the various posts online, unclicked XML file (though it came back), stopped media player shared app, and reduced the number of files and folders to be indexed.  It began again. Laptop is now faster but remains warm and CPU is still far too high. I let index run in the hope that when it's finished, it will calm down. When it gets hot,  I switch it off.    Search has now indexed about 30000 files (so has some time to go) but CPU is still high and interestingly, is not really affected by me using the laptop. It almost never reverts back to 0-5%.

I have ESET AV and had windows defender on. (Switched that off to see if it makes a difference). Scanned.  Nothing of note found. 

I don't wish to lose my laptop by overheating so am a little worried.  I can disable windows search but I find it really helpful.  Troubleshooter found nothing. 

Would love advice.  Posts re this issue tend to be old. My installation is new and I have relatively few apps and prgrammes.  RAM is 3 GB. Slow processor but enough for win 7.

Another laptop with win 7 64 bit is just fine. Searching has been completed though.

Friday, March 21, 2014 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

My bad. Apologize.

Windows search(searchfilterhost.exe) sometimes would take the CPU at a high usage, older posts suggested to disable it or change the start type to manually, or rebuild the indexing, which seems not to be so good as a workaround. And some folks don't have the high CPU usage regarding Windows search with a clean install, compared with upgrade install from Windows vista to Windows 7.

Before going further,  could we take a high CPU usage Capture in order to determine the causes? follow this:

Note: WPT is a tool which we need to install first.

WPT: WPR/Xperf: Capture high cpu, disk i/o, file, registry, networking, Private bytes, Virtual bytes, Paged Pool/Nonpaged pool and/or application slowness.

Also please take a capture using process monitor(Also a troubleshooting tool):

Troubleshooting with Process Monitor

If possible please upload the results into skydrive and post the link here.

Thank you.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:56 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry to hear the unsuitable situations.

The computer is overheating is probably casued by the CPU high usage, we may take a try to disable some features (like Turn off visual effects) of Windows 7, for more information, please take a look at the below article:

Optimize Windows for better performance

Also please clean up the dust, take a health check with your laptop.

In addition, please take a check if the PC is suitable for running Windows 7 as well:

Windows 7 system requirements

More reference:

Performance & maintenance

Hope this may help

Best regards

Michael Shao

• Edited by Michael_LS Monday, March 24, 2014 6:03 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 6:02 AM
  • This is a disappointing  response to the question.  New insallation of  a laptop (so you can't just add this or that; it's 3 GB RAM etc though as noted, sufficient on paper.  Performed by an expert. Relatively few programmes. Bit early to start defragmenting etc.   Which leaves dust. I can have a look but it could equally be the fan. It's working and engineer told me that if it wasn't working, I'd know about it. So the expert isn't convinced. Replacing fans on laptops.  Ghastly thought.
    Monday, March 24, 2014 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

My bad. Apologize.

Windows search(searchfilterhost.exe) sometimes would take the CPU at a high usage, older posts suggested to disable it or change the start type to manually, or rebuild the indexing, which seems not to be so good as a workaround. And some folks don't have the high CPU usage regarding Windows search with a clean install, compared with upgrade install from Windows vista to Windows 7.

Before going further,  could we take a high CPU usage Capture in order to determine the causes? follow this:

Note: WPT is a tool which we need to install first.

WPT: WPR/Xperf: Capture high cpu, disk i/o, file, registry, networking, Private bytes, Virtual bytes, Paged Pool/Nonpaged pool and/or application slowness.

Also please take a capture using process monitor(Also a troubleshooting tool):

Troubleshooting with Process Monitor

If possible please upload the results into skydrive and post the link here.

Thank you.

Best regards

Michael Shao

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:56 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 9:17 AM
  •  This is a clean install etc.

Indexing is now complete and CPU is down, except when using another programme.  Laptop still gets hot. Acer told me not to upgrade from XP to Win 7 and now I know why.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:03 AM