none
Migrate public DNS to new servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading/migrating our public DNS servers. Currently we have a windows 2003 (primary) and bind (slave) environment. The idea is to go to a full windows server 2016 environment. We're not going to use the same names/IP on the new servers. 

I'm not sure what the best practice for this process, but this is what I've done until now:

I've copied all the zones from current primary server to the new one, and had them loaded to DNS. However - we will need to change the SOA for all the zones (350+), as all are configured with SOA entries from the current server. Is there a way for bulk editing SOA? I've seen dnscmd and powershell commands for editing SOA for one specific domain/zone, but thought it should be possible to bulk edit somehow? My scripting knowledge is totally non-existent, so I'm quite lost.

Our new server is named ns1.example.local locally, but the published public name will be like ns1.example.com. When you create a new zone on the server, by default it will use ns1.example.local as primary server in the SOA records. Is there a way to make the public name the primary server by default without having to manually change this every time you make a new zone? 

Thomas

Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Is there a way to make the public name the primary server by default without having to manually change this every time you make a new zone? 

Based on my research,there is no built-in way to edit soa record when we make a new zone.

Modify the Start of Authority (SOA) Resource Record for a Zone by dnscmd

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816941(v=ws.10).aspx

You could seek further help about script in Powshell forum for better answer. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winserverpowershell

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 27, 2017 8:19 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your info! I'm still figuring this out.

However - I have another question..

Whenever you create a zone in Windows DNS servers, the hostname is set as primary server by default, and it's normally either part of an internal domain or just a workgroup, like ns1.example.local or just ns1. Publically you want your server to be ns1.example.com.

Is there a best-practice when it comes to what you should name the server internally (hostname), and what is should be called in public? When delegating name servers to a domain, the delegated name-server would have to match what's registered in the SOA for the zone, otherwise Iv'e seen it fail DNS check tests, because of mismatch.

We have a naming standards for our servers which we need to follow - but it would be easier if the hostname and public name of this server is identical, so we wouldn't have to change the primary server record in SOA every time a new zone is created.

Thomas

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:06 AM