Explorer.exe Class not registered. RRS feed

• Question

• So here is what happened, I was bored with the design of windows 7 'cause I always see it, I wanna change it some how I downloaded Theme and also replacement for explorer.exe [a zip file Full theme] The tutorial said that copy the explorer.exe in C:\Windows\Explorer.exe , I renamed the old explorer.exe as explorerexe.old and copied the downloaded explorer.exe and did the same with the C:\Windows\System32\ExplorerFrame.dll renamed old ExplorerFramedll.old and copied ExplorerFrame.dll to System32 and ran the theme, not to mention it was VERY good looking it worked fine. but after restarting my laptop I waited for the desktop to show, and then noticed explorer.exe was not on the task manager processes.. I tried Task Manager  clicked New Task then browsed for C:\Windows\Explorer.exe [The current ones] I get the message Class not Registered. I opened this Mozilla Firefox through Task Manager New Task. and so on. Please help me and recommend me anything. until now I don't have explorer.exe running, which means I don't have Taskbar and Desktop Icons. I communicate with the computer through task manager. ASKING FOR HELP THANKS.

Monday, January 18, 2016 4:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Given current condition, I advise you command to register the DLL file firstly to see if it can fix this issue.

Please call out Task Manager and hold Ctrl when you click new task(Run) to open Command Prompt, then, type:

cd \windows\syswow64

regsvr32 c:\filename.dll

sfc /scannow

If the issue still persists, we suggest to restore the original Windows files since to change each one will cause the unstable things.

Please go to C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32 to recover your old Explorer.exe and ExplorerFrame.dll, delete those that you downloaded from other website.

Then, call out Task Manager and create a new task named explorer.exe to see the result.

After above operations, restart your machine to test result.

In addition, check if the issue persists in safe mode, restart the computer and press and hold F8 key to enter safe mode. We could also execute system restore in the safe mode.

In fact, we don’t suggest to change system components, if you want to change an aesthetically theme, change it directly.  

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:50 AM

All replies

• There are certain system components that are not to be changed, for smooth working of Windows. Explorer is one such program. If you want to change the visual appearance, you can change the themes, rather than changing explorer or its components.

Hence, rename the files back, restart the PC and then check. Follow the instructions:

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This will open Task Manager.

2. Now, press File -> New task, holding Ctrl to open Command Prompt.

3. Now, navigate to the location where you renamed the files and rename the files.

4. Once done, type the command shutdown /r /f and press Enter. This will restart Windows.

5. Check if desktop icons/taskbar loads on restart.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, January 18, 2016 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

Given current condition, I advise you command to register the DLL file firstly to see if it can fix this issue.

Please call out Task Manager and hold Ctrl when you click new task(Run) to open Command Prompt, then, type:

cd \windows\syswow64

regsvr32 c:\filename.dll

sfc /scannow

If the issue still persists, we suggest to restore the original Windows files since to change each one will cause the unstable things.

Please go to C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32 to recover your old Explorer.exe and ExplorerFrame.dll, delete those that you downloaded from other website.

Then, call out Task Manager and create a new task named explorer.exe to see the result.

After above operations, restart your machine to test result.

In addition, check if the issue persists in safe mode, restart the computer and press and hold F8 key to enter safe mode. We could also execute system restore in the safe mode.

In fact, we don’t suggest to change system components, if you want to change an aesthetically theme, change it directly.  

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:50 AM