why the sms_executive service is defined in sccm managment pack for 6 times.? RRS feed

• Question

• i understood that the service is depend on OR the unit monitor of service is depend on different parent monitors .  But is it possible that to create new monitor for this service and disable the all other monitors in the SCCm management pack.I want to create a monitor with target configmgr servers.

Actually this management pack generate 6 alert from one server for sms_executive service stop.As the conclusion is the service is stop.i agree that it is showing in health explorer that the 6 different role of sccm are down.but the root cause is only one sms_executive service is stop.And that why the admins who are working on this alerts they having problem why 6 alert comes at one time if the one service is stop  and we are not able to explain them that it is configured as like this So

1) i  want to create sms_executive service unit monitor with  configmgr server target but it is giving me error so what i do for this or is there any other target i can choose and there is any other way to create monitor for service to monitor sccm machine.

Please reply as i am right now monitoring 1000 sccm servers so i want to do this as early as possible please replay.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hi

we resolved this issue by creating a new mp and we added only the service in that mp.we done that using scom athoring counsole.

Thanks and Regards

Omkar umarani.

Omkar umarani SCOM STUDENT
    • Marked as answer by Onkar Umarani Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We met the same issue and those 6 alerts about the sms_executive service stopping were raised at the same time as a network discovery on the SCCM server. Can you check if it's also your case ? I think a call as been made with MS support but I changed job since that so I'll ask my former colleague for news.

Regards.
    François Dufour
    My Blog
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 10:56 PM
  • i dont know much about SCCM, but i think it's about service dependancies.

5 service are down, because they have a dependancy on 1 service and each service raises an alert. So when that one service stops, 5 others stop as well and you get 6 alerts. If this is the case, the question is: do you want an alert if only one of the 5 services goes down? If the answer is yes, then you can't do much about it. The admins should just start the services again and note it's because one service stopped.

ultimately, you'd want the service check to include checking whether the service's dependancies are stopped or not. Then only alert when the service is stopped, but the service's dependancies are running. This should be possible by a script, but personally i would worry admins would forget to start the other services when they just get 1 alert.
    Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

It's actually a maximum of 7 not 6 if you look at the Management Pack. When the SMS_Executive stops alerts will be generated from the Site Server, PXE Service Point, Fallback Status Point, Software Update Point, Management Point, State Migration Point and System Health Validator Point component roles. The number of alerts will depend on the components actually installed ...   

Since the SMS_Executive is "The Main Service", you know you're in trouble so IMO you don't need the other alerts.  Especially because they don't have any added value. They all generate: The SMS_Executive service has stopped on server X. 

Personally I do have a much bigger problem with the service monitor(s) themselves, because it are not service monitors! It are monitors that depend on a rule that looks for events in the OpsMgr event log ...   Actually the whole MP still looks like a MOM conversion as much of it depends on the system.mom.backwardcompatibility.library.

With all this in mind, I'd think seriously about what you need to monitor for SCCM in your environment ... and eventually create a small MP yourselve that does just that.

Cheers,
    Serge
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 10:11 PM
  • hi Rob Korving

thanks for your comment but i done one thing that i override all the service and created only one monitor set for the same but i choose target point windows servers.Because if i try to take target config mgr server  it is giving me error it no giving me chance to save.and with target window servers it is giving some time false alert also. Means it is genrating alerts from servers which not host the sms_executive service.  so please tell me what target i choose for the same.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Hi

we resolved this issue by creating a new mp and we added only the service in that mp.we done that using scom athoring counsole.

Thanks and Regards

Omkar umarani.

Omkar umarani SCOM STUDENT
    • Marked as answer by Onkar Umarani Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:13 PM