none
Report server not initialised, cannot backup encryption keys - I want to uninstall and reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if I'm asking in the correct place, but here goes.

A quick overview:

I'm trying to install MS Azure backup server, but this is failing, stating that it cannot amend the SSRS email settings.

I have tried to amend the email settings manually, but no dice.

I attempted to upgrade SSRS, but get "Evaluation period has expired. Please upgrade to a different edition before attempting to upgrade again"

I want to back up the encryption key, so I can uninstall and reinstall but backup and change is greyed out in the configuration centre. I have tried to backup using rskeymgmt, but this doesn't appear to generate anything.

This is SSRS 2017, with a 2017 SQL on a 2012 R2 Server.

Can I re-install SSRS without having the encryption key? Would I have to blow away the existing Report database, or is there something else I can do?

Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Amanda,

I would suggest against re-install without backup encryption key, this would make the whole RS database not available. 

Did you use an evaluation edition SSRS on your machine? Was the evaluation expired? You could take look into this Evaluation period has expired" error message when working with SQL server

I'm not very familiar with Azure Backup Server, but as far as I read the post, it is not very related to the issue, right? What was your original intention on the machine?

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:25 AM
  • It's just SSRS that is expired, not SQL. I remembered to license SQL before expiry, but forgot SSRS.

Azure backup server required access to change information in SSRS, and I think it can't because it's expired. Because of this, the ABS install is failing.

I want this in place to backup the SQL databases and some data that is on the server to Azure. I'm currently backing up SQL to blob storage, but this is not ideal.

Any other ideas wrt SSRS?

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

SSRS doesn't required separated license. Once the SQL server was activated, ssrs could use the same license to activated it.

You could try the license you get for SQL Server. For license issue you could call MS custom support for professional help.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 7:54 AM
  • SSRS doesn't required separated license. Once the SQL server was activated, ssrs could use the same license to activated it.

You could try the license you get for SQL Server. For license issue you could call MS custom support for professional help.

Yes it does in 2017; SSRS is a separate entity. It is possible to use the same license key for both, but it does need to be entered in both

Monday, December 16, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Thanks for your correction, what I mean is we don't need to buy new one.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:59 AM
  • What is your issue going on now?

Friday, December 27, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Same as before.

Not able to enter the key using the "change program" through control panel, it suggests that files are missing. Not able to upgrade using a new download, still not able to get SSRS working.

Monday, December 30, 2019 8:38 AM