none
DPM 2016 - Secondary Protection Issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have recently upgraded both our primary and secondary servers to DPM 2016.

    Following the upgrade some issues were experienced which required the primary protection to be switched over to the secondary server.

    Once the issues were rectified the protection was switched back to the primary server.

    Since this point the backups on the secondary server have failed with the below error:

    "The operation failed for Volume F:\(***********) on ******** because the data source is not available. (ID 30169 Details: VssError:The specified object was not found. (0x80042308))"

    Following some further investigation I checked the DPM server ID's in the SQL database on the secondary server using the following command:

    SELECT ServerId, ServerName, DPMServerId FROM [dbo].[tbl_AM_Server] WHERE IsDPM = 1

    The results reveal that the "ServerID" of the primary DPM server is incorrect.

    I would presume that this ID may have changed during the upgrade process.

    In addition I ran the following command to check the ID of the DPM server which is detailed to protect an example client in the protection group.

    SELECT DPMServerId FROM [dbo].[tbl_AM_Server] WHERE ServerName = '********'

    The results show that the "DPMServerID" tallies with the incorrect "ServerID" or the primary DPM server revealed by the first command.

    Having searched for a fix for this issue I found below suggested solution:

    1. Connect to DPMDB of your secondary server (You can find more about it here).
    2. Get a list of DPM-servers and their IDs:
      SELECT ServerId, ServerName, DPMServerId FROM [dbo].[tbl_AM_Server] WHERE IsDPM = 1
    3. Write down IDs of DPM1 (<OLD-ID>) and DPM2 (<NEW-ID>).
    4. Determine which primary DPM-server protects PS1 according to the knowledge of DPM3:
      SELECT DPMServerId FROM [dbo].[tbl_AM_Server] WHERE ServerName = '<Protected Server's FQDN>'
    5. Make sure it equals <OLD-ID>, otherwise this instruction is not for you — contact Microsoft Support instead.
    6. Update protected server record with ID of new primary server:
      UPDATE [dbo].[tbl_AM_Server] SET DPMServerId = '<NEW-ID>' WHERE ServerName = '<Protected Server's FQDN>'
    7. Run new/modify protection group master and press “Clear cache” button.

    Running the "Update" command in item 5 of the above steps to I receive the below error:

    "The UPDATE statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY SAME TABLE constraint "pk__AM_Server__DPMServerName". The conflict occurred in database "DPMDB_MS_SVR213709137282_22e4_497e_9237_de5bad574c3c", table "dbo.tbl_AM_Server", column 'ServerId'."

    I wondered if anyone else has experienced the issue and found a fix?


    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:38 PM

Answers

  • housekeeping - closing old post.

    Upgrading a DPM Server should not change the ServerId.  I have never seen / heard of this issue before so it's hard to provide any kind of reason for the issue or guidance on repairs at this point.

    Regards
    Mike Jacquet


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Monday, January 6, 2020 10:09 PM
    Moderator