none
Skype For Business IM Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange & Skype For Business integrated for Unified Exchange configured working fine. We are trying to configure messaging service. We have Goddady certificate which we are using for our exchange server so my question is can I use the name which is mail.abc.com for IM messaging? because that name we are using for OWA.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Farhan Khan Mughal,

In my understanding, when do OWA IM Integration between Exchange and Skype for Business server, it would use the Exchange certificate Thumbprint which is enabled for IIS service.

Then on the Skype for Business server side, you need to create a Trusted Application Pool for OWA:

New-CsTrustedApplicationPool -Identity <FQDN of new pool > -Registrar <FQDN of Lync server Pool> -Site <SiteID> -RequiresReplication $False

And create Trusted Application for OWA:

New-CsTrustedApplication -ApplicationId <Id> -TrustedApplicationPoolFqdn <FQDN of Trusted pool> -Port <available TCP port number>

For example, if you use “mail.abc.com” as your OWA FQDN, you could use the following commands to create trusted pool and application:

New-CsTrustedApplicationPool -Identity mail.abc.com -Registrar fepool.domain.com -Site 1 -RequiresReplication $false

New-CsTrustedApplication -ApplicationId OWA -TrustedApplicationPoolFqdn mail.abc.com -Port 5199

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Farhan Khan Mughal,

In my understanding, when do OWA IM Integration between Exchange and Skype for Business server, it would use the Exchange certificate Thumbprint which is enabled for IIS service.

Then on the Skype for Business server side, you need to create a Trusted Application Pool for OWA:

New-CsTrustedApplicationPool -Identity <FQDN of new pool > -Registrar <FQDN of Lync server Pool> -Site <SiteID> -RequiresReplication $False

And create Trusted Application for OWA:

New-CsTrustedApplication -ApplicationId <Id> -TrustedApplicationPoolFqdn <FQDN of Trusted pool> -Port <available TCP port number>

For example, if you use “mail.abc.com” as your OWA FQDN, you could use the following commands to create trusted pool and application:

New-CsTrustedApplicationPool -Identity mail.abc.com -Registrar fepool.domain.com -Site 1 -RequiresReplication $false

New-CsTrustedApplication -ApplicationId OWA -TrustedApplicationPoolFqdn mail.abc.com -Port 5199

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:49 AM
  • Thank you for the replied. I've configured as you mentioned for now I am getting this error.

The certificate specified by the InstantMessagingCertificateThumbprint parameter of the Outlook Web App virtual directory wasn't found in the local certificate store.
    Certificate thumbprint: [E09E32855E920D9D71769F7B2CE7D2071E1F81910]

I already paste this tumbprint on owa webconfig in exchange server.

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:25 PM
  • Hi Farhan Khan Mughal,

Please run “Get-ExchangeCertificate” on the Exchange server management shell to check the certificate thumbprint.

Then run the command to update the OWA virtual directory with the new thumbprint:

get-owavirtualdirectory | Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -InstantMessagingCertificateThumbprint "<new cert thumbprint>"

Please refer to this related blog:

https://blog.armgasys.com/?p=586

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Monday, September 23, 2019 6:11 AM
  • I tried but still same error.
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:31 PM