none
CAPTURE COMMAND RUNS AND COMPLETES IN BLINK OF AN EYE - BUT DOES NOT CAPTURE

Question

• Thanks for reading my post.  Our Imaging Server is running MDT ver. 8443 and ADK 1703 on a VMWare hosted Windows 2008 R2 Standard server.  Before I upgrade to the 1709 ADK I want to make sure the Capture and Deploy functions are working.  The Capture function is not working and I have not been able to determine why yet. The last time I captured an image of my reference computer was back in June or July and I have not touched this server since then. There have been a few Windows Security updates and one Cumulative update since then.

The reference computer I use is a VMWare hosted Windows 10 64bit 1703 VM hosted on a Windows 10 64bit Pro physical host. This is the same configuration I have been using for the past year+.  I have joined and disjoined this VM to/from our domain a few times this past year. 

When I connect to the MDT server's deployment share (scripts folder) to run the LiteTouch VBS script as I always do it pops up the usual prompt to log in to my network, then it runs what looks like the LTIGather script. Then abruptly finishes and produces no error messages indicating it is complete. But is is not complete, it does not run the entire set of scripts and does not capture an image.  I looked through the BDD log but cannot discern what the problem is.  I hope you can help me and appreciate your input.  I am including a link to the BDD log it produces.  If you cannot access would you please let me know? I can post it here too.

I appreciate your input.

https://colgov-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/mike_hyland_lynchburgva_gov/EXilh36Svo1Opxcm9jwoPR8BOZwf-Ub7QXrjZAR8TciL5Q?e=xFrQ0S

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 2:48 PM

All replies

• something else one of my Server Team co-workers shared with me.  The event log in our imaging server shows this error message at the time the Capture script is running(or has finished running).

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 2:58 PM
  • Something to check:

Do you have a task sequence set to automatically start in your customsettings.ini? If so check to make sure its running the correct task sequence. Or comment it out so it gives you an option to choose which task sequence to run. You also may want to double check the permissions on the deploymentshare with the account you are using to connect to it with.

I assume from your description you are getting through the processing the customsettings and bootstrap files.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:43 PM
  • Thanks for the response Greg. I created a Standard capture task for Windows 10 about a year ago when we 1st started deploying Windows 10 (1703) and have used that ever since. It's not automatic, I have to choose it from the wizard menu.  I have another one in the menu to capture Windows 7 32bit images as well.  

I use my domain admin account access the imaging server's deployment share(scripts folder) and  launch the capture script from there. My account has full access to the server and I have been using this method for years, so nothing different or new here.

One of my co-workers tried to capture a physical machine and got the same message as I did trying to capture from my reference VM.  

If you or anyone reading this knows of a method I can use to capture my VM reference machine "offline" instead of to a network share I sure would appreciate this information. I need to create an alternative method for capturing an image when situations like this occur (and since Windows 10 they occur too often).

Mike

Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:36 PM
  • If your account has full access to the server it still needs permissions on the deployments. I would double check those permissions.

I have also seen other posts on here that describe the MDT version you are using as breaking captures

What you can do is create a WINPE boot disk with the DISM installed and boot your computers with that and use DISM commands to capture the image. Another option is to create a capture boot image for WDS, PXE to that and capture. Both methods will require you to create a unattend.xml, copy it to the sysprep folder on the machine to be captured and then run the following from a command prompt "sysprep /oobe /generalize /quit /unattend:unattend.xml", shut down and capture.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Thank you for the information Greg.  Yes, my domain admin account has full access to the server. I do not understand what you mean by "still needs permissions on the deployments".  I can deploy images with no problems.

I am willing to try either of the two methods you mention but would like to try the 1st one first, namely "WINPE boot disk with the DISM installed and boot your computers with that and use DISM commands to capture the image."   Would I need to actually "install" dism onto a WINPE boot disk, or just copy the command file to it?  I have not used DISM often and the only times I have was to inject drivers into a WIM file. Any information you can point me to on how to accomplish this will be very appreciated.

Mike

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:03 PM
  • Sorry that ment to read permissions on the deploymentshare. You may look into reverting your MDT back to your previous version. I have seen posts where the version you are using is having issues with capture.

Its been a while since I have done it but I think all the DISM commands are already present when you create your WINPE disk. Here is a link on how to capture using dism https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/capture-images-of-hard-disk-partitions-using-dism. This method will save the image to the root of the local hard drive.

Info on how to create your bootable winpe media https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-usb-bootable-drive

Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:13 PM
  • Thank you again Greg,  unfortunately I cannot downgrade the MDT version since it was upgraded from the version that supports Windows 7.  I have not upgraded it since then and as my orig. post shows I need to upgrade the ADK to 1709. I will upgrade MDT too but want to do the ADK first and test it to see if I can capture & deploy a 1709 image.  Thank you for the links.

Mike

Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:22 PM