none
Deploying msi through GPO VERY slow.

Question

• Hi,

I'm experiencing problems deploying an MSI package thorugh a GPO (computer assigned). The problem is that the PC's affected by this policy takes up to an hour to install the package (which is about 7MB).

I have tested directly on a pc, and the only way i can speed up the msi package is by disabling Volume Shadow Copy service before running this .msi.

The problem is, that this is not an option when deploying through a GPO. I have read about MSIFASTINSTALL parameter, but this option also isn't available through GPO software distribution..

Any help would be "bigly" ;-) appreciated..

Regards, Brian L. Jensen

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, we recommend specifying the following settings in the GPO (Group Policy) to ensure that the MSI distribution process is smooth and seamless:

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components> Window Installer > Always install with elevated privileges

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy > Software Installation policy processing (check "Allow processing across a slow network connection")

Regarding your situation, I cannot find related GPO settings either. You could refer to the following troubleshooting article to narrow down the slow issue:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2009/04/10/msi-application-deployment-via-msi-gpo/

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 6:30 AM