During Import Operating System Wizard - Specify Operating System setup files - Which to use when? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks.  I'm not really sure when to use which option at this step.  Options are "Setup files are not needed" and "Copy Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or later setup files from the specified path".  I've been choosing the first option so far and haven't had any problems from what i can tell but I don't want to run into some strange issue further down the line.  Info appreciated.  Thanks.
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hello FuzzyReets,

When you choose setup files are not needed, then only the install.wim is copied to the deployment share operating systems folder. The other option copies all the files from the source DVD to the deployment share operating systems folder.

You may need to use the source files for example, if you want to install certain roles and features during deployment that are only available from the sources folder. Another reason maybe to use the setup.exe from DVD source in the case of foreign language deployments.

I always use the source files for my master image deployment task sequences (sysprep and capture), but not for my final custom deployments.

It's not a huge deal, if you find you need the source files for any reason, you can re-import the OS with the source files.

Regards,

dlofstedt

Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:09 PM
  • Hello FuzzyReets,

When you choose setup files are not needed, then only the install.wim is copied to the deployment share operating systems folder. The other option copies all the files from the source DVD to the deployment share operating systems folder.

You may need to use the source files for example, if you want to install certain roles and features during deployment that are only available from the sources folder. Another reason maybe to use the setup.exe from DVD source in the case of foreign language deployments.

I always use the source files for my master image deployment task sequences (sysprep and capture), but not for my final custom deployments.

It's not a huge deal, if you find you need the source files for any reason, you can re-import the OS with the source files.

Regards,

dlofstedt

Thanks so much. Does it use the files during deployment only or might I need them later post deployment within the deployed OS? How would I relink all of my task sequences if I reimport the OS? Thanks again.
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:16 PM
  • Sorry I misunderstood. I assumed you were taking about the first option OS Type in the wizard between full set of source files and custom image file, etc. 

The setup screen only shows up if you choose a custom image file. I have always chosen setup files are not needed in my custom deployments and never had a problem.

This post explains it fairly well:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/785ae74e-3e6d-44c1-8499-6c2db0ed2fef/specify-operating-system-setup-files-page-of-import-operating-system-wizard?forum=mdt

If you ever do re-import an operating system, you can link up the task sequence by changing the TS step "Install Operating System" during the "Install" Phase, and browse to the new location under the "Operating System to Install" field.

Regards,

dlofstedt

Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:41 PM