Design: Using remote SQL installation and SUP placement RRS feed

• Question

• Technet advises that installing the SUP on the primary server will only support 25,000 clients - and 100,000 if the SUP is installed on another site server. But is this only true if the SQL database is installed locally on the primary?

We have a single primary server (virtualized) with the ConfigMgr database installed on a separate physical SQL cluster. So do I install the SUP on my primary server, and if so will it support more than 25,000 clients? Or should I still install the SUP on another server? Can/should it be installed on the same server as the SQL database?

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• The location of the primary site server's DB has no impact on the SUP. The scalability of the SUP is based on clients connecting to the underlying WSUS instance for catalog updates which is almost entirely independent from ConfigMgr itself. This also has nothing to do with WSUS DB location either.

As stated, to be supported for more than 25,000 clients, the SUP must be on its own system. So, no 25,000+ clients will not be supported if you install it on your primary site server regardless of where the site's DB is.

Same answer for collocating it with your SQL Server -- really bad choice in your case since WSUS and SUPs are not cluster aware -- it must be on its own, dedicated system.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by Hackmuss Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:34 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 3:15 PM