What are these "In progress installations" it's telling me about? RRS feed

• Question

• SCE2010, in the Computers section, under Software it says "187 computers with in progress installations". If I click on that link it brings up a report with nothing listed. Is there somewhere else I can find out what it's talking about? If I go to the Software Overview page there's nothing listed either.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 4:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

The "Installation in Progress" pending management type indicates that the agent was installed, but has never successfully connected to the management server. General connectivity problems can cause this, however the most likely cause is a Kerberos error.

These symptoms can occur when the ServicePrincipalName (SPN) for the management server's HealthService is not registered or is not registered correctly (e.g. there's a duplicate SPN).

Here is some articles that discussed this issue:

The OpsMgr Connector could not connect to MSOMHSvc\rms01.local
    http://www2.wolzak.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=2

SCE 2007 target computers stuck in Pending Management area
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/b848a649-19e3-49f8-be66-8b7cb6c79b27

Most clients appear in BDD - but not yet contacted and health status shows Error
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/3abf8f8a-3796-4440-b7aa-150b7f3d95e6

Please follow the steps in the articles to see if it helps.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:23 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Hello,

We have got the same problem with all new SCE 2010 installations. Is not an SPN issue for as far as I can see also the agents show up with an "OK" status in green.
    After even installing a new SCE installation in a new domain with some new clients, so no other GPO's or software or ... and this problems arises. The clients can download the updates from WSUS or SCE just fine, reporting in WSUS and SCE for those updates is 100% correct.

It is just the software part which always mentions the total amount of clients with software in progress without even having any software packages configured yet. If you click an software deployment status for a specific client it says "OK" and off course no software packages. It is just on the main screen under computers as well as the daily health report that it says x computers need software. On the daily health report it is one computer more, logically because it will be the server included whereas at the main screen it is just the clients.

Also at all of our clients with SCE where we have packages added it mentioned on the software page x packages installed succesfully and y packages in progress.
    But when you look at the deployment status of all of the clients they alle mention every package with a status of "OK", also when you click on a package and see the deployment status below (not per computer but for the package itself over all computers) it mentions x computers succesfull and 0 in progress or failed, ...

Can someone please help since we have been looking for it for a while now and we cannot seem to find it over more than 20 different SCE deployments even one with just a clean domain, standard settings and default SCE deployment.

Thanks

Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:14 PM
  • You ever get a resolution to this? I have the same issue here. All agents are OK, and run/update as expected. But on the main 'Computers' overview, it says I have '8 computers with in progress installations'. However, when I go to the Software page - there is nothing listed. The report shows no software as well.
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:01 PM
  • So here is what my home screen looks like in SCE 2010:

As you can see, every agent appears to be working well, yet the Software summary shows 52 computers (curiously it's often the same as the number of computers with successful updates installations), even though I have not configured any software to be deployed.

How can we get the display to show 0 computers with in progress (software) installations?

Trilon, Inc.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:17 AM