KB4517211 - Edge app reset notification for new users in win 10 1903 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we are testing Win 10 1903 and use the 1903 iso from the vlsc. 

Everything is working fine but if we install KB4517211 we get a lot of app reset notifications from the Microsoft Edge.

This only happens for users that log on the first time on this device (after installing this KB). For existing users this app reset notification is not displayed.

If we uninstall this KB the app reset notification is not displayed anymore for users that login the first time on this device.

Is this a know bug in the KB4517211?

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:03 AM

All replies

• There is not official statement mentioned this app reset notification situation.

Please feedback this situation to Microsoft via Feedback Hub app, I am also going to submit this case, let’s wait for update and keep monitoring

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

i will feedback this microsoft via feedback hub.

It looks like that this problem occurs only with an unattended installation.

We use the original vlsc 1903 iso and did a unattended installation with a AutoUnattend.xml. After that installation we install the update 4517211 in the base image and run sysprep. Then we make a image (wim) and restore this image. Then we get for all new users the edge app reset notification.

I run the dism /export /defaultappassociations and dism /import command to import the correct settings to to wim file an i also run the command after the unattended installation into the base image. Same problem.

I dont know what to do. I hope someone can replicate this problem because its very annoying.

Greeting

EDIT:

if i run a dism /online /get-defaultappassociations on the image with the update 4517211 installed, these 3 lines are new:

<Association Identifier="microsoft-edge" ProgId="AppX7rm9drdg8sk7vqndwj3sdjw11x96jc0y" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />
      <Association Identifier="microsoft-edge-holographic" ProgId="AppX3xxs313wwkfjhythsb8q46xdsq8d2cvv" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />
      <Association Identifier="MS-XBL-3D8B930F" ProgId="AppXdn5b0j699ka5fqvrr3pgjad0evqarm6d" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />

This lines are not included in the get-defaultappassociations on the image without the update 4517211.

EDIT2: it looks like here is the same problem: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dec0ff68-360d-44a1-963d-fff23cff84fa/twinui-app-reset-to-default-browser-set-to-default?forum=win10itprosetup and here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fe3d027c-de98-4ce3-aa4a-48452dd4d8cd/filetypes-being-reset-to-edge-on-user-logon?forum=win10itprosetup

• Edited by skt-tec Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:26 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 6:22 AM
  • If you are using copyprofile in your unattend configuration, remove these two registry keys from the default user account.

DEFAULTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FileAssociations

DEFAULTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

I have determined that when CopyProfile is used in 1903 with latest updates, despite the the default app associations procedure, it would produce app reset notices after sysprep. 

If you continue to have random app reset notices (TWINUI, .epub, .htm, .etc), check that you are importing a recent app association file, this has changed and includes a few more Edge type extensions. Also, if your default profile includes , %systemdrive%\users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat - this registry file may produce app reset notices too. 

• Proposed as answer by MilanD3 Friday, October 11, 2019 5:32 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 3:32 PM
  • I’m not using copy profile and I still have this issue. I’m using an xml from earlier this year that does not have the additional edge types included.
    Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:28 AM
  • I'm fairly certain you will need the new app associations no matter if you are creating a new base image or upgrading to 1903 from an earlier version. You can copy the new app associations from \windows\system32\oemdefaultassociations.xml before importing anew. Then manually include them in your own default association list.

Here are the app associations that I pulled and that work for me:

<Association Identifier="microsoft-edge" ProgId="AppX7rm9drdg8sk7vqndwj3sdjw11x96jc0y" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" ApplyOnUpgrade="true"/>
      <Association Identifier="microsoft-edge-holographic" ProgId="AppX3xxs313wwkfjhythsb8q46xdsq8d2cvv" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" ApplyOnUpgrade="true"/>
      <Association Identifier="ms-xbl-3d8b930f" ProgId="AppXdn5b0j699ka5fqvrr3pgjad0evqarm6d" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" ApplyOnUpgrade="true"/>

I've seen this problem twice:

1. When capturing a base image of 1903 with copyprofile via unattended answer file.

2. When upgrading to 1903 from 1809 (and possibly earlier versions). New user account shows app reset notice. 

My initial finding for the #2 fix is not working as expected after a second attempt. I'm still trying to determine how this can be fixed or avoided. 

• Edited by MilanD3 Friday, October 25, 2019 6:38 PM corrected response
    Friday, October 25, 2019 4:54 PM
  • I am having the same issue. Milan I tried your fixes and they are not working for me. Even when I do not use copy profile functionality, I still get notifications but down to about 4. Are you making the registry changes before sysprep. Any additional information on your fixes would help. I hope Microsoft resolve this bug soon. 
    Monday, October 28, 2019 10:15 PM
  • Were any of you guys able to fix the Default App Reset notifications when rolling out the new install with copyprofile w/ sysprep?

It’s happening on 1903 or 1909 Windows 10. First it was the Settings-Apps-Default Apps window crashing after selecting default video or music player (Windows Media Player). It would just cause the entire Default Apps window to crash. These are the brand new installs, outside the box, no changes what-so-ever.

Then after posting that Default App window crash issue on another thread (link below) someone pretty much suggested me to generalize the image which I did. That sort of fixed the crashing window part but now the notifications are just all over the place :/

If I can beat the Default App Reset error (also posted screenshot on the TechNet thread below) that would be amazing but for now it seems like I am just running in circles here…
    Any input is appreciated.
    -Zack
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/772dc4b2-d074-49a8-856e-bf23f3c43d05/brand-new-install-of-1903-or-1909-immersive-control-panel-issues?forum=win10itprogeneral

• Edited by Zack Aleksic Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:22 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:22 PM
  • Have spent hours on this with 1903 and given up.  As per others the problem doesn't exist until the update goes on.

Tried exporting / importing default association files does seem to work, as in the apps you specify open the file types / protocols you list but you still get app reset warnings.  Messing with the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file, no joy there...  We apply a default xml via GPO and with or without this the error still exists, editing that made no difference.

It happens on a image I capture with copyprofile and one that I capture that doesn't use copyprofile.

There's the SetUserFTA tool that might help.

The number of reset warnings isn't even consistent in my testing sometimes I'm getting 7, sometimes 5 and this is on PC's frozen with DeepFreeze that give you a first login everytime sort of experience.

I'd login with one domain account and get 7, the next I'd get 0 and then that same account after a reboot I'd get 5...

To me it's a bug of some sort and seems somewhat reliant on timing somewhere in the login process as to what it's claiming is getting reset. 

Sometimes the log indicate a hash mismatch sometimes they don't and just say it was reset...

I've given up and just enabled some of these policies as a User GPO (No Sound, No PopUp):

Don't Show in Action Center is weird as it shows the number on the badge icon in the bottom right and it slowly decreases as they're not shown, go figure...  Enabled doesn't really do what I thought either...

CREATE

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel\
    ShowInActionCenter
    REG_DWORD

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel\
    SoundFile
    REG_SZ

HKEY_CURRENT_USER 
    ShowBanner 
    REG_DWORD 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER 
    Enabled 
    REG_DWORD 

Hopefully helps someone.  Tried to log Tickets with MS and got nowhere.

Matt

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:26 AM
  • I am having similar issues. To start with I have been using V1903 Ent for a while. I use an .xml file and DISM command to import my desired defaults.

After an update, probably the one mentioned in the first questions, I also had about 20 notifications that my default were being changed when I logged in as a new user. NOT ACCEPTABLE MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The good part of this is that it actually DID NOT change my defaults. Just said it did and caused a lot of expletives @#$%%^^&^%$ etc... STOP EVEN LOOKING AT MY DEFAULTS MICROSOFT!!! I WILL DECIDE FOR ALL NEW USERS WHAT THEY WILL START WITH AT ALL TIMES FOREVER AND EVER. MS MUST NEVER EVER EVER ATTEMPT TO CHANGE THEM FROM NOW UNTIL THE END OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am creating a new "base" image for version 1909. I use the same method I did for V1903. I use DISM to import the .xml file, I looked to see if any of the program IDs like the ones for Edge had changed, they do not seem to have, and so I am using my original .xml file from V1903.

In V1909, when I log in as a new user, I only get 3 or 4 notices that MS has changed my defaults. They all seem to relate to Edge. (IT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED AND FOREVER DELETED, MS GET RID OF IT IF YOU CAN NOT KEEP IT OUT OF THE DEFAULTS, I DO NOT WANT YOUR SPYWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET RID OF EDGE!!!)

I say 3 or 4 notices because I have one new user get 3 and one get 4. The one that got 4 had an extra one that said MS had changed my default for .PDF files from Acrobat Reader back to Edge. HOW EVIL OF MS!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fortunately when I checked my defaults, it showed Acrobat as the default for .pdf files. UNFORTUNATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first time I opened one it tried to get me to change it instead of just opening with Acrobat as it should always do for ALL NEW USERS, ALWAYS FOREVER. STOP IT MS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other issues were about actually changing my default browser. When I went to setting/defaults and looked it showed a "Plus" sign next to the default browser, better than showing the Edge icon, but IT SHOULD HAVE SHOWN FIREFOX. NO EXCUSE FOR THAT MS>>>STOP IT>>STOP MESSING WITH MY DEFAULTS>>>GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK GREEDY SKULL I WILL BE IN CHARGE AT ALL TIMES I WILL CONTROL ALL DEFAULTS FOR ALL USERS AT ALL TIMES. I MUST BE ABLE TO DO IT PER MACHINE WITHOUT GP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS CANNOT BE SAID ENOUGH IN BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS EVERYONE NEEDS TO START DOING SO ETC.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YES THIS IS WERE MS NEEDS TO GO TO SEE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO FIX WINDOWS 10 ETC!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SOME STUPID FEEDBACK FORUM, I DON"T HAVE TIME TO TYPE TWICE WAKE UP MS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUIT BEING LAZY AND EVIL!!!

Now I just got a message that ms-xbl-3d8b930f files got reset to Edge. This happened when I looked to see via settings what Edge was set to as default. It also shows plus signs next to .HTTP and .HTTPS. SHOULD OF COURSE BE FIREFOX!!!!!!!!!!!!! .HTM and .HTML .SVG etc should also be FIREFOX!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I look at Firefox it also shows plus signs next to HTTP and HTTPS, NOT ACCEPTABLE MS I TOLD IT TO BE FIREFOX. MAKE IT FIREFOX AND STOP TRYING TO FORCE OR TRICK ME IN TO USING THE SPYWARE EDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET OVER IT, EDGE IS EVIL, THIS IS PROVEN BY THE WAY IT KEEPS COMING BACK LIKE A BAD VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAKE IT SO MICROSOFT STOSP MESSING WITH MY DEFAULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL ALWAYS KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR MY COMPANIES ENVIRONMENT NOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I MUST NEVER EVER HAVE IT ASK ME WHAT BROWSER TO USE TO OPEN A WEB SITE. When I run a test of the default browser by clicking on a web site link IT MUST OPEN IN FIREFOX not ask me what browser to use as it does now. THIS MUST STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what I need is some one who can look at my .xml file, see if they can find an error. Or some way to set via .xml file NO GP, that cannot fail to make Firefox the default browser for all new users, FOREVER!. I don't care if a user wants to change a default I just insist on having FULL 10000000% control over their initial defaults. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THAT MICROSOFT GET IT FIXED YESTERDAY!!! NO EXCUSE FOR THAT NOT ALREADY BEING DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WIN 10 HAS BEEN OUT TO LONG AND TO MANY PEOPLE HAVE TOLD YOU TO STOP MESSING WITH THEIR DEFAULTS HOW EVIL OF YOU TO IGNORE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below is my .xml defaults file...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <DefaultAssociations>
      <Association Identifier=".3g2" ProgId="mplayerc64.3g2" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gp" ProgId="mplayerc64.3gp" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gp2" ProgId="mplayerc64.3gp2" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.3G2" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gpp" ProgId="mplayerc64.3gpp" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".aac" ProgId="mplayerc64.aac" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".ac3" ProgId="mplayerc64.ac3" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".acrobatsecuritysettings" ProgId="Applications\AcroRd32.exe" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />
      <Association Identifier=".adt" ProgId="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" ApplicationName="Groove Music" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".adts" ProgId="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" ApplicationName="Groove Music" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".aif" ProgId="mplayerc64.aif" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.AIFF" />
      <Association Identifier=".aifc" ProgId="mplayerc64.aifc" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.AIFF" />
      <Association Identifier=".aiff" ProgId="mplayerc64.aiff" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.AIFF" />
      <Association Identifier=".amr" ProgId="mplayerc64.amr" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".arw" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".asf" ProgId="mplayerc64.asf" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF" />
      <Association Identifier=".asx" ProgId="mplayerc64.asx" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX" />
      <Association Identifier=".au" ProgId="mplayerc64.au" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.AU" />
      <Association Identifier=".avi" ProgId="mplayerc64.avi" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".bmp" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".cda" ProgId="mplayerc64.cda" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.CDA" />
      <Association Identifier=".cr2" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".crw" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".dib" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".divx" ProgId="mplayerc64.divx" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".dng" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXvvwq6wxamf7qhxd0vn6wm1wwehyxrdd6" />
      <Association Identifier=".ec3" ProgId="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" ApplicationName="Groove Music" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".emf" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" />
      <Association Identifier=".epub" ProgId="AppXvepbp3z66accmsd0x877zbbxjctkpr6t" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXvepbp3z66accmsd0x877zbbxjctkpr6t" />
      <Association Identifier=".erf" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".fdf" ProgId="AcroExch.FDFDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />
      <Association Identifier=".flac" ProgId="mplayerc64.flac" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".gif" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".htm" ProgId="FirefoxHTML-E7CF176E110C211B" ApplicationName="Firefox" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9" />
      <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="FirefoxHTML-E7CF176E110C211B" ApplicationName="Firefox" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9" />
      <Association Identifier=".ico" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".jfif" ProgId="pjpegfile" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpe" ProgId="jpegfile" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpeg" ProgId="jpegfile" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpg" ProgId="jpegfile" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".jxr" ProgId="wdpfile" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".kdc" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".m1v" ProgId="mplayerc64.m1v" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".m2t" ProgId="mplayerc64.m2t" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".m2ts" ProgId="mplayerc64.m2ts" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".m2v" ProgId="mplayerc64.m2v" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".m3u" ProgId="mplayerc64.m3u" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4a" ProgId="mplayerc64.m4a" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4p" ProgId="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" ApplicationName="Movies &amp; TV" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4r" ProgId="mplayerc64.m4r" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4v" ProgId="mplayerc64.m4v" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mht" ProgId="mhtmlfile" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier=".mhtml" ProgId="mhtmlfile" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier=".mid" ProgId="mplayerc64.mid" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.MIDI" />
      <Association Identifier=".midi" ProgId="mplayerc64.midi" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.MIDI" />
      <Association Identifier=".MK3D" ProgId="mplayerc64.mk3d" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" />
      <Association Identifier=".mka" ProgId="mplayerc64.mka" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".mkv" ProgId="mplayerc64.mkv" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mod" ProgId="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" ApplicationName="Movies &amp; TV" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mov" ProgId="mplayerc64.mov" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".MP2" ProgId="mplayerc64.mp2" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.MP3" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp2v" ProgId="mplayerc64.mp2v" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp3" ProgId="mplayerc64.mp3" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp4" ProgId="mplayerc64.mp4" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp4v" ProgId="mplayerc64.mp4v" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpa" ProgId="mplayerc64.mpa" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".MPE" ProgId="mplayerc64.mpe" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpeg" ProgId="mplayerc64.mpeg" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpg" ProgId="mplayerc64.mpg" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpv2" ProgId="mplayerc64.mpv2" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mrw" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9rkaq77s0jzh1tyccadx9ghba15r6t3h" />
      <Association Identifier=".mts" ProgId="mplayerc64.mts" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".nef" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".nrw" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".orf" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".oxps" ProgId="Windows.XPSReachViewer" ApplicationName="XPS Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="Windows.XPSReachViewer" />
      <Association Identifier=".pano" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXnnqhxnqg1rbs3ydfcgnhk3djtrpa49g7" />
      <Association Identifier=".partial" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.PARTIAL" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgId="AcroExch.Document.DC" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
      <Association Identifier=".pdfxml" ProgId="Applications\AcroRd32.exe" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />
      <Association Identifier=".pdx" ProgId="PDXFileType" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />
      <Association Identifier=".pef" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9rkaq77s0jzh1tyccadx9ghba15r6t3h" />
      <Association Identifier=".png" ProgId="pngfile" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".ra" ProgId="mplayerc64.ra" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" />
      <Association Identifier=".raf" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".ram" ProgId="mplayerc64.ram" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" />
      <Association Identifier=".raw" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".rle" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" />
      <Association Identifier=".rmi" ProgId="mplayerc64.rmi" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.MIDI" />
      <Association Identifier=".rw2" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".rwl" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".s3m" ProgId="mplayerc64.s3m" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" />
      <Association Identifier=".shtml" ProgId="FirefoxHTML-308046B0AF4A39CB" ApplicationName="Firefox" />
      <Association Identifier=".snd" ProgId="mplayerc64.snd" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.AU" />
      <Association Identifier=".sr2" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".srw" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".svg" ProgId="svgfile" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier=".thumb" ProgId="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" ApplicationName="Photos" />
      <Association Identifier=".tif" ProgId="TIFImage.Document" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" />
      <Association Identifier=".tiff" ProgId="TIFImage.Document" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" />
      <Association Identifier=".tod" ProgId="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" ApplicationName="Movies &amp; TV" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".TS" ProgId="mplayerc64.ts" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".TTS" ProgId="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" ApplicationName="Movies &amp; TV" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".txt" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="Notepad" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="txtfile" />
      <Association Identifier=".url" ProgId="InternetShortcut" ApplicationName="Internet Browser" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="IE.AssocFile.URL" />
      <Association Identifier=".vlt" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="Notepad" />
      <Association Identifier=".voc" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.voc" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".wav" ProgId="mplayerc64.wav" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".wax" ProgId="mplayerc64.wax" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.WAX" />
      <Association Identifier=".wdp" ProgId="wdpfile" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" />
      <Association Identifier=".website" ProgId="Microsoft.Website" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="IE.AssocFile.WEBSITE" />
      <Association Identifier=".wm" ProgId="mplayerc64.wm" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".wma" ProgId="mplayerc64.wma" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmd" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WMD" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmf" ProgId="Applications\PhotoViewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" />
      <Association Identifier=".wms" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WMS" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmv" ProgId="mplayerc64.wmv" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmx" ProgId="mplayerc64.wmx" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmz" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WMZ" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".WPL" ProgId="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" ApplicationName="Groove Music" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier=".wsz" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="Notepad" />
      <Association Identifier=".wvx" ProgId="mplayerc64.wvx" ApplicationName="MPC-HC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="WMP11.AssocFile.WVX" />
      <Association Identifier=".xdp" ProgId="AcroExch.XDPDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />
      <Association Identifier=".xfdf" ProgId="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />
      <Association Identifier=".xht" ProgId="FirefoxHTML-308046B0AF4A39CB" ApplicationName="Firefox" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="xhtmlfile" />
      <Association Identifier=".xhtml" ProgId="FirefoxHTML-308046B0AF4A39CB" ApplicationName="Firefox" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="xhtmlfile" />
      <Association Identifier=".xm" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.XM" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".xml" ProgId="xmlfile" ApplicationName="Office XML Handler" />
      <Association Identifier=".xps" ProgId="Windows.XPSReachViewer" ApplicationName="XPS Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="Windows.XPSReachViewer" />
      <Association Identifier=".xvid" ProgId="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" ApplicationName="Movies &amp; TV" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
      <Association Identifier=".zpl" ProgId="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" ApplicationName="Groove Music" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
      <Association Identifier="ACROBAT" ProgId="acrobat" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" />
      <Association Identifier="bingmaps" ProgId="AppXp9gkwccvk6fa6yyfq3tmsk8ws2nprk1p" ApplicationName="Maps" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXp9gkwccvk6fa6yyfq3tmsk8ws2nprk1p" />
      <Association Identifier="DLNA-PLAYSINGLE" ProgId="WMP11.AssocProtocol.DLNA-PLAYSINGLE" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier="FTP" ProgId="FirefoxURL-308046B0AF4A39CB" ApplicationName="Firefox" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="IE.FTP" />
      <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="FirefoxURL-E7CF176E110C211B" ApplicationName="Firefox" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXq0fevzme2pys62n3e0fbqa7peapykr8v" />
      <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="FirefoxURL-E7CF176E110C211B" ApplicationName="Firefox" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX90nv6nhay5n6a98fnetv7tpk64pp35es" />
      <Association Identifier="mailto" ProgId="Outlook.URL.mailto.15" ApplicationName="Outlook" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXydk58wgm44se4b399557yyyj1w7mbmvd" />
      <Association Identifier="microsoft-edge" ProgId="AppX7rm9drdg8sk7vqndwj3sdjw11x96jc0y" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />
      <Association Identifier="microsoft-edge-holographic" ProgId="AppX3xxs313wwkfjhythsb8q46xdsq8d2cvv" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />
      <Association Identifier="microsoft.windows.photos.crop" ProgId="AppX47jwqdafzcxw9wm0mbb5cev2eav5b1je" ApplicationName="Photos" />
      <Association Identifier="microsoft.windows.photos.picker" ProgId="AppXcb6e5re383zqpgggd2grt6vrv627a4wt" ApplicationName="Photos" />
      <Association Identifier="microsoft.windows.photos.videoedit" ProgId="AppXzn6aajbcrxx2qvxjawp7v0xnj1zdzdcz" ApplicationName="Photos" />
      <Association Identifier="MK" ProgId="IE.HTTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier="MMS" ProgId="WMP11.AssocProtocol.MMS" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier="ms-photos" ProgId="AppXx6a0med6y43gv0vn6qa7r3vdg4cg3bnv" ApplicationName="Photos" />
      <Association Identifier="ms-wcrv" ProgId="AppXvsddybna5mfqpzfzrh0x2nnv0v7ettv3" ApplicationName="Photos" />
      <Association Identifier="ms-wpdrmv" ProgId="AppXsf0d8xs4xz53mhyq7wyajbmrskt080m7" ApplicationName="Photos" />
      <Association Identifier="mswindowsmusic" ProgId="AppXtggqqtcfspt6ks3fjzyfppwc05yxwtwy" ApplicationName="Groove Music" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXtggqqtcfspt6ks3fjzyfppwc05yxwtwy" />
      <Association Identifier="mswindowsvideo" ProgId="AppX6w6n4f8xch1s3vzwf3af6bfe88qhxbza" ApplicationName="Movies &amp; TV" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6w6n4f8xch1s3vzwf3af6bfe88qhxbza" />
      <Association Identifier="read" ProgId="AppXe862j7twqs4aww05211jaakwxyfjx4da" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />
      <Association Identifier="RES" ProgId="IE.HTTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier=".zip" ProgId="7-Zip.zip" ApplicationName="7-Zip File Manager" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="CompressedFolder" />
      <Association Identifier=".7z" ProgId="7-Zip.7z" ApplicationName="7-Zip File Manager" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="CompressedFolder" />
      <Association Identifier=".rar" ProgId="7-Zip.rar" ApplicationName="7-Zip File Manager" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="CompressedFolder" />
      <Association Identifier=".lzma" ProgId="7-Zip.lzma" ApplicationName="7-Zip File Manager" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="CompressedFolder" />
      <Association Identifier=".tar" ProgId="7-Zip.tar" ApplicationName="7-Zip File Manager" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="CompressedFolder" />
    </DefaultAssociations>

ps... I had to use DISM++, it can be found at majorgeeks.com, to import the .xml file. In v1903 I just used a command line DISM call...

dism.exe /Online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:"%~dp0CustomDefProgs.xml"

It always took about 3 seconds then came back with succesful in v1903, but in v1909 it just ran the call and it sat there doing nothing.... FIX IT MS!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP MESSING WITH MY DEFAULTS MAKE IT EXTRA EASY TO SET DEFAULT FOR ALL NEW USERS IE SYSTEM DEFAULTS FOR EVERYONE GET IT FIXED MKICROSOFT. STOP BEING EVIL!!!!!

Thanks again to all who try to help and or add their displesure of Microsoft always trying to change the defaults we set!

A BIG THANKS TO ALL HELPERS

Ralph!!!!

Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:40 AM
  • Windows 10 v1903 is a stable OS...However,after the upgrade one must reinstall the pc hardware drivers/software.

Windows Media Creation Tool works fine,or windows 10 upgrade advisor.If you run Intel based hardware,1st install the Chipset software-driver,then storage controller,video,networking,audio/etc..

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=4517211

That bupdate should run ok,if you follow TechNet installation defaults.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=windows%2010%20upgrade%20advisor&ac=5

If installed as outlined,youre kb4517211 should run...

Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:46 AM
  • Hi Ralph,

Were you able to get a resolution to this. I am in the process of creating a script for our machine roll outs and changing the defualt PDF, Web Browser etc is a pain if it has to be manually done on each user profile. I suspect MS have done this to stop malware from changing users defaults without their express knowledge. Its just a real pain if you need to apply it for legit reasons :/.

Whilst some of our customers do have servers we also have a large majority that don't so I am keen to write a script that we can use prior to sending the machine out.

Any help appreciated as always.

Monday, March 2, 2020 12:08 PM
  • Only got a short time right now. You need to use the .XML DISM import method to set the default programs for all new users. You can see my example .XML file. If you have MS Office 2016 Pro, I think 2019 professional PRo has same settings, The MS Photot veiwer, not the Win 10 Photo App which uses the internet to spy on you, as your photo default, MPCHC 64 bit as your default media player, it si safe plays everything and does not do evil spying like ALL MS APPS DO!. 7Zip for compressed files, Adobe Reader for .PDFs, Firefox, I think I set it for x64 version, as the default browser, only one not designed to spy on you, Outlook for your email client etc, then you can probably use the one from above that I posted.

IN V1903 I have a .bat file that can import it in to the system, in V1909 I had to use DISM++ which can be found at www.majorgeeks.com as well as the REG hacks needed to make the Photoveiwer available as a default and many other cool reg hacks, thay just posted a buch of them.

Once the software, Adobe, MPCHC etc has been installed and the .xml file imported any new user should get those for their defaults.

However, as is mentioned in this thread MS will now tell you it is resetting all of your defaults as soon as you log in for the first time. In V1903, it seems it just says it has reset them, but when I check it with my sample media, everything opens with the default I set not the EVIL MS choices. But in V1909, I see that it acts the same way except it will erase the default browser, it does not seem to make it Edge, but if you try to open a saved Web link you will be asked which browser to use, defaulted of course to the EVIL EDGE browser, but you can pic FireFox then and make it permanent for that user. NEEDLESS TO SAY THAT IS AN EVIL ACT OF MICROSOFT TO TRY TO TRICK YOU IN TO USING THEIR EVIL SPY BASED EDGE  but what do you expect from an EVIL COMPANY SUCH AS MICROSOFT. They need to be severly regulated as the monopoly they are... Vote for Bernie if you want some one who will go after all the evil monopolies etc., otherwise no one else seems to have the guts to stand up to them or the are in bed with them. Or they are just corrupt like our current leadership is. (16,000 lies and growing).

Beyond that I can tel you it is possible to get complete control, sans the browser at the moment as stated above, but you can get good control over the default user profile and the first time user log in.

When A new user logs in to one of my systems. he will be asked NO QUESTIONS, NOTHING, I have already given it the answers in my Template User profile. I have lots of tiles on my Metro Start menu, including Control Panel which MS has special code to remove but I know how to get around it. As well as Web Links that open in my default browser NOT EVIL EDGE. I have user folders, they don't like those, but I got them. If you use the .xml method for this and exceed the MS limits, which are of course STUPID it will cut a lot of the tiles out, But not on mine. And I could go one, suffice it to say that you can create a "template" user profile and rename it to default and strip the right stuff out of the NTUSER.DAT reg file etc and get what you want, but you must still use the DISM import of an .XML file for the default programs. I know that what I just described is a bit cryptic but it will take a few days to properly with pictures etc explain how I bet MS and never ever use SYSPREP etc and have a almost perfect new user experience and I just don't have time right now. I am also a little concerned about giving a full description of how I beat MS, but being the EVIL COMPANY THEY ARE I AM AFRAID THEY WILL THEN PUT IN THINGS TO KEEP ME FROM DOING WHAT I DO.

I also have full control over the taskbar shortcuts, don't use .xml method for that or the user cannot change the default, they add more but not remove any...STUPIP MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!

Any way have faith that it can be done, good luck,

Ralph

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 11:29 PM
  • @Jason et al.,

I was just testing 1909 image that was a fresh install (Enterprise).

I went ahead and upgraded to the new feature update 2004 and stopped seeing App Default reset errors. (Double) Tested by creating a new local user. Logged in without any annoying notifications. All my default apps were sticking (Chrome, VLC, etc)!

If anyone else is reading this and had this issue, please let me know if the feature update to 2004 helps?

Cheers!

Zack

Monday, June 22, 2020 7:19 AM
  • Thank you for the reply,

I appreciate the test you did of V2004, it is good to know that that version does not seem to have the bug with resetting program defaults.

Unfortunately that is not the answer. I work in the enterprise world. We only use the "March" feature updates as they have a much longer shelf life. The ONLY POSSIBLE FIX, is for Microsoft to get off their lazy greedy tail ends and put a fix in the next cumulative update for EACH AND EVERY VERSION!!! V 1909, V1903, etc!!!!See the following link...

Win 10 Life Cycles...

Thanks again Zack!

MICROSOFT GET YOUR ACT IN GEAR. FIX THIS DEFECT NOW FOR ALL VERSIONS ZERO EXCUSE EXCEPT FOR EVIL GREED OR LAZINESS, or of course incompetence. SO WHICH IS IT MICROSOFT, EVIL GREED, LAZINESS, OR IS MICROSOFT AND ITS ENGINEERS JUST TO STUPID TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!

Ralph

Friday, June 26, 2020 5:22 PM