sftdcc.exe does not timeout after closure of application launched via GP in kiosk mode. RRS feed

• Question

• We are configuring a group policy to launch an application upon login to the Remote Desktop Server.

The following group policy object is configured;

User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Remote Session Environment

By default, Remote Desktop Services sessions provide access to the full Windows desktop, unless otherwise specified with this setting, by the server administrator, or by the user in configuring the client connection. Enabling this setting overrides the "Start Program" settings set by the server administrator or user. The Start menu and Windows Desktop are not displayed, and when the user exits the program the session is automatically logged off.

Start a program on connection - Enabled 

Program path and file name "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe" /launch "universe 1"

Working Directory

This has also been tested running Notepad.exe

The application launches successfully.

Upon exiting the application the App-V client shuts the application down successfully but the RDS session does not log the user out or end the RDS session. The sftdcc.exe process does not timeout.

Using Task Manager to end the sftdcc.exe process initiates the logout process.

Is the following still valid for Server 2008 R2 and App-V v4.6 x64?

Can’t find any reference to it via;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464849.aspx

How To Deal With Microsoft App-V sftdcc.exe when Sessions are not closed properly After installing Microsoft App-V for terminal servers users sessions are not closed properly after logoff. You can see through the Citrix Advanced Management Console that the session is in disconnected state and sftdcc.exe is running in the user session.

There are two registry keys you can set for this problem to disappear:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\Configuration\

Value Name: DCCSeamlessTimeout

Type: REG_DWORD

String: 0

I have tried adding the DCCSeamlessTimeout to the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Softgrid\4.5\Client\Configuration

but this does not have any effect.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:19 AM

Answers

• What I have seen with Quest's vWorkspace product is that they explicitly list sftdcc.exe in the exclusion/ignore list (i.e. processes that if running will not be considered normal user processes and thus don't prevent logoffinf from being triggered), and if I'm correct, Citrix has something similar in XenApp. I don't think similiar thing exist in base RDS technology however.

/Kalle

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:40 AM

All replies

• Does the same behaviour occur when you use RemoteApp to deliver the application instead of specifying the initial program?
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Must admit I haven't tried this as yet but as the RemoteApp creates a full RDS session in the background I would assume that the behaviour would be similar?

This may be the only way to do what we want, but in the first instance we want to replicate the method we already have.

We are looking to use the RemoteApp and SharePoint integration in the near future.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I think that the way in which applications are handled will be different between the initial program method and RemoteApp. So it might be worth a try.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:13 PM
  • What I have seen with Quest's vWorkspace product is that they explicitly list sftdcc.exe in the exclusion/ignore list (i.e. processes that if running will not be considered normal user processes and thus don't prevent logoffinf from being triggered), and if I'm correct, Citrix has something similar in XenApp. I don't think similiar thing exist in base RDS technology however.

/Kalle

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:40 AM
  • go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

export the Winlogon key as a backup.

on the right look for Userinit. double click it and change it from:

"C:\\Windows\\system32\\userinit.exe,\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\\sftdcc.exe\""

To

"C:\\Windows\\system32\\userinit.exe"

Mohsen Almassud

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Updates on this issue.

if you are running window server 2008 R2 install this hot fix:

KB2815716-v2-x64

then add this registry values:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\SysProcs" /v sftdcc.exe /t REG_DWORD /d 0

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\SysProcs" /v splwow64.exe /t REG_DWORD /d 0

then reboot, and that will fix it.

if you are running 2012 r2, then only add the registry values and reboot.

Mohsen Almassud

Friday, June 20, 2014 7:08 PM