Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application installed on Application Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who installed SharePoint 2010 on their application server. So know they have the web app  for the site on there.

What I want to do is move the site to the web front-end that is in the farm. Currnetly there is nothig on the Web Front end since they did not install this correctly.

Here are the farm servers

Web Front end

Application Server

Database Server

Do I just stop "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" on the App server and start it on the Web Front-end?

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:06 PM

Answers

• Start Foundation Web Application on the WFE and stop it on the App Server.  It really is that simple.
    http://sharepoint.nauplius.net
    • Proposed as answer by Craig Lussier Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, September 30, 2011 3:15 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:56 PM

All replies

• SharePoint has a farm always deploy all web applications to all servers in the farm (except for Central Admin which is only hosted on the Application Server). Then using the DNS Server, you only need to point the DNS to the Web Front-End instead of the Application Server.

The site must still be up on the Application Server in order to the Search Crawled Service to index the site (assuming the Index Service in running on the Application Server).

Francois Lessard
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:43 PM
  • This does not answer my question. The "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" is running on the application server and not the Web Front-end.

The actual site needs to run on the WFE. How do I get it to the WFE in the farm?

They installed SharePoint on just the App server. It is currently hosting the CA and the actual website.

• Edited by Neoinbiz Friday, September 23, 2011 8:22 PM additions
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Start Foundation Web Application on the WFE and stop it on the App Server.  It really is that simple.
    http://sharepoint.nauplius.net
    • Proposed as answer by Craig Lussier Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, September 30, 2011 3:15 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Ok I will do it. I was under the ussumption that is what I needed to do, but I wanted to make sure.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:42 PM