none
Upgrade to System Center Configuration Manager SP1 caused WMI, DCOM, HTTP errors

Question

• Hello,

I have been working on this for a few days now and was hoping someone can tell me I am overlooking something simple. Ever since I upgraded my System Center Configuration Manager 2012 server to SP1, I seem to be having quite a few errors logged from the clients and on the server as well. I will try to start at the top down and provide as much information as possible.

On the server:

The ConfigMgr Health Check task runs at 12:26 AM everyday

At around 12:40 AM everyday there is an error 5436 logged in SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER that the MP is not responding to HTTP requests, error 500. A few minutes later it claims that the Management Point has been repaired, then later confirms that it's responding to HTTP requests. It appears to be reinstalling the Management Point each night.

Furthermore, the server Application event logs many, many WMI warning IDs 63, for various components. Upon investigation, the clients have also been logging WMI warning 63 ever since the upgrade to SP1. Am I missing something with resetting permissions somewhere?

I also frequently see the error ID 10016 from DistributedCOM which says "...Description for Event cannot be found .. . ." and then references the GUID {AD65A69D-3831-40D7-9629-9B0B50A93843} - which I think is the ccmExec service. However, the service is running and I can start and stop it just fine.

As far as I can tell everything is working. The software installation, client monitoring, pushing out the new client, all seem to be working. However, it's unsettling that there are so many errors being logged, and the MP being reinstalled last night.

When I first completed the upgrade, I did have to remove and re-add the Management Point to get it working at all. I do not recall specifically what the problem was, I seem to recall coming across a post about WMF 3.0 problems and wonder if that's related.

I did think I followed the installation instructions correctly, but something seems awry. FYI this is Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on a single Site. I would image it's one of the more basic SCCM setups.

Thanks in advance for any help, let me know if you need more information.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:10 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the replies. I still do not know exactly what caused the problems, but obviously something went wrong with the Management Point during the upgrade.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the ConfigMgr client from the server and the problems have cleared up. The Management Point does not reinstall when the Configuration Manager Health Evaluation task runs and the DCOM and WMI errors have gone away.

The HyperV services were being stopped and would not start again at the same time everyday. I assumed they were related based on the timing, but I am not sure how. HyperV also starts just fine now.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:32 PM

All replies

• i got same issue, rebuilding wmi rep. solved our case.
    • Edited by J.Saarinen Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:28 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:56 AM
  • I read that rebuilding the WMI repository when the original cause of the issue is unknown is a bad idea. However, maybe it's the only option. So rebuilding the WMI repository stopped the warnings on the clients as well?
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Never delete the WMI repository on a site server, you *will* kill it.

Also, what most people refer to as "rebuilding" is actually just deleting the repository and allowing WMI to rebuild it which is generally a bad idea. You shpuld try to repair it first and/or run wmidiag to find issues/

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:22 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. I still do not know exactly what caused the problems, but obviously something went wrong with the Management Point during the upgrade.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the ConfigMgr client from the server and the problems have cleared up. The Management Point does not reinstall when the Configuration Manager Health Evaluation task runs and the DCOM and WMI errors have gone away.

The HyperV services were being stopped and would not start again at the same time everyday. I assumed they were related based on the timing, but I am not sure how. HyperV also starts just fine now.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:32 PM