none
DPM Consistency Checks never finishing. RRS feed

• Question

• To date I have been designing my File Share protection groups as follows.

Full backup on a Saturday and then incremental syncs every hour. This method works very well when I have a good network and core infrastructure and not too much data.

One of the things I can’t wait for in DPM2012 is the fact that it doesn’t need to analyse a vhd or protection group fully before it can proceed to backup what has changed.

The reason I mention this is because DPM2012 is the answer to my problem. I have a customer that is backing up the root of a DFS and has about 6tb in data. But when a sync comes around DPM2010 needs to analyse the full protection group before it can proceed to backup what has changed.

A way around this would be to create a separate protection group for each DFS Root share but DPM won’t let you do that.

As tempted as I am to install DPM2012 RC I can’t on a production environment until the full DPM 2012 has been released. Does anyone know what I can do here? As I cannot wait until April to resolve this issue.

I dont think DPM 2010 can do it ay better that what is doing.

Sean
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

Yes... on a 6 TB datasource, Consistency Check (CC) will take very very very long time to be omcompleted as it will do a block comparison between PS and Replica. The only way I could think of is to backup pieces of this DFS from different servers that belongs to your DFS structure....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hello,

Just to add a snippet from: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmfilebackup/thread/17d053c8-fb23-4688-82ec-a705f6dcf018

Data moving slow because the consistency check only shows you number of bytes we have transfered since the CC started.It may take an hour of CRC checking to discover 1GB of data that has actually changed, so in that 1 hr. you will only see DPM transfer 1GB, that DOES NOT mean that the trasfer rate is 1GB / hr.   It may go several hours and not transfer any data. (actually crc blocks being passed to the DPM server is also displayed as xfered bytes)

Thanks,
    Shane

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

Yes... on a 6 TB datasource, Consistency Check (CC) will take very very very long time to be omcompleted as it will do a block comparison between PS and Replica. The only way I could think of is to backup pieces of this DFS from different servers that belongs to your DFS structure....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hello,

Just to add a snippet from: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmfilebackup/thread/17d053c8-fb23-4688-82ec-a705f6dcf018

Data moving slow because the consistency check only shows you number of bytes we have transfered since the CC started.It may take an hour of CRC checking to discover 1GB of data that has actually changed, so in that 1 hr. you will only see DPM transfer 1GB, that DOES NOT mean that the trasfer rate is 1GB / hr.   It may go several hours and not transfer any data. (actually crc blocks being passed to the DPM server is also displayed as xfered bytes)

Thanks,
    Shane

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:56 PM