none
Creating users for SQL Server and Farm Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am doing my first install on VM. Here is what I did so far:

1. Installed SQL Server 2008 R2 (Sharepoint and Project Server are not installed yet)

2. While installing it was asking me to assign user that will run SQL Server Engine or may be it was SQL Server Service!? Anyway I created a new user in active directory (this user is part of group Users) and assign it to SQL Server.

3. SQL Server was installed successfully.

4. I also read that you need farm admin account and that account need some permissions in SQL Server  so I created another user for farm admin in active directory and made it part of Administrators group.

Am I doing it right so far?

Thanks

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:11 AM

All replies

• In addition to what I wrote above, I have the following problem.

1. Although I wrote above that I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 trial but actually I went to the following page to download SQL Server 2012 trial.

http://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/pd/SQL2012EvalCTA/enus/default.aspx

But problem is when I installed it, it is actually installed as SQL Server 2008 R2. Every where in start menu and in Add/Remove programs in control panel it is referred to as SQL Server 2008 R2 and not SQL Server 2012 I wonder why? Looks like the link given on above page still goes to SQL Server 2008 R2 and not SQL Server 2012?

That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.

2. The SQL Server 2008 R2 trial is missing SQL Management Studio. So I downloaded Management Studio Express from Microsoft website and its size was 163.45MB. But when I tried to install it, it showed me that same installation process which was shown at the time of installing SQL Server 2008 R2. It's like I was installing SQL Server 2008 R2 all over again. And then the program showed error that all components are already installed.

I then searched and found another version of Management Studio Express but this time the size was 176.47MB. I am still downloading it so once it finished I will see if it installs successfully but has anybody faced this problem with Management Studio Express?

Thanks

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:52 AM
  • HI,

Are you to install Project SErver 2010 on your VM ? since its not clear from your question.

However there is a very good technet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662109.aspx

Which explains every step need to be followed in order to install and configure Project Server.

Once your VM is ready with required OS, for eg. Windows Server 2008 R2, you can follow the steps from this article to create a Farm.

Also from left side navigation pane of this article, you can choose to see steps to be followed to configure SQL server to provide required functionality for farm.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Yes I am installing it on virtual machine.
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Please ignore my second post about installing SQL Server 2008 R2 instead of SQL Server 2012. It's not Microsoft but I made a silly mistake. All setup files were in same folder so I ran SQL Server 2008 Express edition setup instead of SQL Serer 2012.

But Microsoft is also a little bit silly here because at least they could have named the window title SQL Server 2008 Express while installing because through out it was written was SQL Server 2008 R2.

I will now see about Management Studio but I am still looking for answers about my first post.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

Please see the below link to find complete details of service accounts required to setup Farm:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff426868.aspx

Once you have all the service/admin accounts ready with you, you can follow the below link to find out the permission required for each service account. You can verify the permissions you have currently configured from the below technet article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197607.aspx

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Thanks I will have a look at it.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 6:02 AM