SCCM Client Issues (failed to retrieve site code & site version) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had to create a new thread as I didn't find any solution to this problem on already posted threads.

I have been facing this problem for quiet sometime now.

I m running SCCM on WIN2K3 Standard edition. This site system server works as the  DISTRIBUTION POINT as well as MANAGEMENT POINT. The AD schema has been extended. The sitecomp.log file shows following information.

Waiting for changes to the "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\sitectrl.box" or "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\sitecomp.box" directories, servers will be polled in 38 minutes...
    Detected a change to the "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\sitectrl.box" directory.
    Parsed the master site control file, serial number 151.
    Synchronizing server table and polling servers as needed...
    Synchronizing component server PPLKHIHO09...
      Synchronization complete.
    Publish Servers in Active Directory.
       DS RootBig SmileC=ppl,DC=com,DC=pk
       Searching for the System Management Container.
       LDAP://CN=System Management,CN=System,DC=ppl,DC=com,DC=pk container exists.
      Site System <PPLKHIHO09> is the Default Management Point.
    No Fallback Status Point installed on the Site
      Size of Signing Certificate: 0
      Signing Certificate:
      Checking configuration information for server: PPLKHIHO09.
        PPLKHIHO09 is the Default MP.
        MP Configuration for PPLKHIHO09 is correct.
        Installing Security settings on site system ...
        Security settings are up to date for PPLKHIHO09.
        Installing DNS publishing settings on site system ...
     DNS publishing settings are up to date for PPLKHIHO09.
        Publishing PPLKHIHO09(pplkhiho09.ppl.com.pk) as a Management Point into Active Directory.
        SMS-MP-KHI-PPLKHIHO09 could not be updated, error code = 8202.
        SMS-MP-KHI-PPLKHIHO09 successfully updated, using the SMSv1 AD Schema
    STATMSG: ID=4918 SEV=W LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER" SYS=PPLKHIHO09 SITE=KHI PID=13872 TID=484 GMTDATE=Wed Feb 27 10:01:12.765 2008 ISTR0="cn=SMS-MP-KHI-PPLKHIHO09" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0
        Updated WSUS Configuration for PPLKHIHO09.
    Synchronization complete.

and the ExtADSch.log file on AD server shows the following logs  (these logs are for the dates when the first time AD Schema was extended and no recent logs are created in here)

Modifying Active Directory Schema - with SMS extensions.
    DS Root:CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ppl,DC=com,DC=pk
     Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-Site-Code.
     Defined attribute cn=mS-SMS-Assignment-Site-Code.
     Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-Site-Boundaries.
     Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundaries.
     Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-Default-MP.
    Defined attribute cn=mS-SMS-Device-Management-Point.
     Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-MP-Name.
    Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-MP-Address.
     Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-Ranged-IP-Low.
     Defined attribute cn=MS-SMS-Ranged-IP-High.
     Failed to create class cn=MS-SMS-Management-Point.  Error code = 8202.
     Failed to create class cn=MS-SMS-Server-Locator-Point.  Error code = 8202.
     Failed to create class cn=MS-SMS-Site.  Error code = 8202.
     Failed to create class cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundary-Range.  Error code = 8202.
     Failed to extend the Active Directory schema.

Modifying Active Directory Schema - with SMS extensions.
     DS Root:CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ppl,DC=com,DC=pk
     Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Site-Code already exists.
     Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Assignment-Site-Code already exists.
     Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Site-Boundaries already exists.
     Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundaries already exists.
     Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Default-MP already exists.
     Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Device-Management-Point already exists.
    Attribute cn=MS-SMS-MP-Name already exists.
     Attribute cn=MS-SMS-MP-Address already exists.
     Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Ranged-IP-Low already exists.
     Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Ranged-IP-High already exists.
     Defined class cn=MS-SMS-Management-Point.
    Defined class cn=MS-SMS-Server-Locator-Point.
     Defined class cn=MS-SMS-Site.
     Defined class cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundary-Range.
     Successfully extended the Active Directory schema.

Please refer to the SMS documentation for instructions on the manual 
    configuration of access rights in active directory which may still 
    need to be performed.  (Although the AD schema has now be extended,
    AD must be configured to allow each SMS Site security rights to
    publish in each of their domains.)

Now when i try to install a client on test machine by using PUSH Client or Manual installation procedure, the client shows in the Control Panel but it doesn't do anything else. The components tab shows all the components INSTALLED but NOT ENABLED.One of the client gets the side code assigned but still it seems not to communicate with the server. Automatic site code discovery always shows UnSuccessful. Now after going through different posts on this forum, I started debugging the client and could gather the following data:

The clientlocations.logs files shows following data

Getting Assigned Site
    Assigned Site is KHI
    Autodiscover Site
    GetCurrentManagementPointEx
    Current Management Point is  with version 0 and capabilities: .

where KHI is the name of the SITE.

The locationservice.log file shows :

DhcpGetOriginalSubnetMask entry point not supported.
    Current AD site of machine is PPL-HO
    Attempting to retrieve SLPs from AD
    Current AD site of machine is PPL-HO
    Raising event:

instance of CCM_CcmHttp_Status
    {
     ClientID = "GUID:F6C26131-4B60-45DB-9877-30E82B05EC86";
     DateTime = "20080227071153.423000+000";
     HostName = "172.16.0.55";
     HRESULT = "0x00000000";
     ProcessID = 2396;
     StatusCode = 0;
     ThreadID = 3364;
    };
    time="12:11:53.423+000" date="02-27-2008" component="LocationServices" context="" type="1" thread="3364" file="event.cpp:525">
    LSGetAssignedSiteFromSLP : No site code returned from SLP
    Won't send client assignment fallback status point message because last assignment message was sent too recently.
    Processing pending site assignment.
    Assigning to site 'KHI'
    LSVerifySiteVersion : Verifying Site Version for <KHI>
    LSGetSiteVersionFromAD : Failed to retrieve version for the site 'KHI' (0x80004005)
    Attempting to retrieve SLPs from AD
    Raising event:

instance of CCM_CcmHttp_Status
    {
     ClientID = "GUID:F6C26131-4B60-45DB-9877-30E82B05EC86";
     DateTime = "20080227071246.285000+000";
     HostName = "172.16.0.55";
     HRESULT = "0x00000000";
     ProcessID = 1716;
     StatusCode = 0;
     ThreadID = 3980;
    };
    time="12:12:46.285+000" date="02-27-2008" component="LocationServices" context="" type="1" thread="3980" file="event.cpp:525">

LSGetSiteVersionFromSLP : No site version  returned from SLP for site <KHI>
    LSVerifySiteVersion: Failed to get Site Version from AD and SLP
    Won't send a client assignment fallback status point message because the last assignment error matches this one.

and finally the clientIDManagerStartup.log file shows:

RegTask: Failed to refresh site code. Error: 0x80004005
    RegTask: Initial backoff interval: 1 minutes
    RegTask: Reset backoff interval: 257 minutes
    Already refreshed within the last 10 minutes, Sleeping for the next 7 minutes before reattempt.
    RegTask: Failed to refresh site code. Error: 0x80004005

This is what I have gathered by now using the information on the forum and I am getting the feeling that the problem is with SITE CODE and SITE VERSION. I have also read that SLP is not required when AD schema has been extended and the MP is assigned which is the case here.

The type of SITE boundary has been set to SUBNET ID and the subnet ID is 172.0.0.0. The network and subnet mask fields are empty. Do i need to put something in there as well..? and all the clients are in the same boundary of 172.16.x.x

The SCCM server IP is 172.16.0.55. The IP of the test computer for client is 172.16.2.206.

I'm extremely new to SCCM i-e have only worked for only last 30 days.

What is the solution to this problem. Any detailed help in this regard would be extremely.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:54 AM

Answers

• To me, this looks like the AD schema was extended with the SMS 2003 schema, and not the Configuration Manager schema. Did you run the Extadsch.exe utility from the Configuration Manager DVD (SMSSetup\Bin\I386 folder)?

This makes me think so:

My sites do not show those two entries when it publishes my MP to AD. And that would explain the inability to get the data necessary (site version) published to AD for client retrieval.

If you are not using the Configuration Manager AD schema, then you do need an SLP.

As to Boundaries, unless the subnet mask is 255.0.0.0, then your Boundary is wrong. You need to enter the subnet that the client is a member of. In fact, when you add an IP subnet, we ask you for the IP address AND mask so that we can figure out the subnet ID. If your mask is 255.255.0.0, then the subnet ID would be 172.16.0.0

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• To me, this looks like the AD schema was extended with the SMS 2003 schema, and not the Configuration Manager schema. Did you run the Extadsch.exe utility from the Configuration Manager DVD (SMSSetup\Bin\I386 folder)?

This makes me think so:

My sites do not show those two entries when it publishes my MP to AD. And that would explain the inability to get the data necessary (site version) published to AD for client retrieval.

If you are not using the Configuration Manager AD schema, then you do need an SLP.

As to Boundaries, unless the subnet mask is 255.0.0.0, then your Boundary is wrong. You need to enter the subnet that the client is a member of. In fact, when you add an IP subnet, we ask you for the IP address AND mask so that we can figure out the subnet ID. If your mask is 255.255.0.0, then the subnet ID would be 172.16.0.0

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Thanks Wally,

What I did was that i configured a role of SLP and all seemed to start working well. I tried a S/W distribution on the client and it was advertised, downloaded and installed easily.

Now, I have two more questions for you.

firstly, I looked at the logs in ExtADSch.log and i noticed the logs give me the date of somewhere in the year 2005. I have recently joined this firm and they have recently upgraded from SMS to SCCM2007 which means this AD schema was actually extended for SMS and not for SCCM. Now, what I need to know is if I still need to extend the AD schema or should i continue working with SLP. Will it cause any problem in future...? and what should be the procedure now to extend AD schema on my current scenario.

Secondly, should i change my SITE boundaries settings..? As the client is fully working now and has downloaded the software as well from DP which is the same server of SCCM.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Great, so it was a AD schema issue :-)

If you want to update the schema for SCCM, simply run the Extadsch.exe tool from Configuration Manager. It will take about 10 seconds to extend the schema (well, in my virtual environment that's how long it takes :-)

You don't have to, other than we can't publish our site system FQDN in the SMS 2003 schema (it is different in Configuration Manager) and you can't use NAP (network access protection). So personally, I'd do it, as it is a very simple, quick think to do.

You should get your boundaries set correctly for your site. I would always do that.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Thanks Wally,

Now, i am here with another issue. Last day I distributed Acrobat using software distribution to the test client and all went well with advetisement and package installation.

Now today when I am trying to distribute another software "flashplayer 9" with the same settings from same server to same client, the SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER in COMPONENT STATUS on SITE SERVER gives  "MP has rejected a policy request from GUID:********************( number of GUID) because it was not approved. The operating system reported error 2147942405: Access is denied." Now this is really strange because i left all workgin fine last night.

I checked my logs again on client and found out this:

datatransferservice.log shows :

DTS job {21459987-5C5B-456B-A4E8-0E53D848E901} has completed:
     Start time : 02/29/2008 12:31:27
     Completion time : 02/29/2008 12:31:28
     Elapsed time : 1 seconnds

Some of the ERROR messages for today in locationservices.log file ar as follows:

Refreshing client operational settings over AD

Failed to update security settings over AD with error 0x80040215.
    Attempting to retrieve default management point from AD
    Retrieved Default Management Point from AD: PPLKHIHO09
    Persisting the management point authentication information in WMI
    Persisted Management Point Authentication Information locally
    The 'Certificate Store' is empty in the registry, using default store name 'MY'.
    Refreshing client operational settings over AD
    Failed to update security settings over AD with error 0x80040215.
    The 'Certificate Store' is empty in the registry, using default store name 'MY'.
    No security settings update detected.
    Attempting to retrieve default management point from AD
    Retrieved Default Management Point from AD: PPLKHIHO09
    LSGetSiteVersionFromSLP : Retrieved site version as '4.00.5931.0000' from SLP for site <KHI>
    LSVerifySiteVersion : Verified Client Version '4.00.5931.0001' is not greater than Site Version '4.00.5931.0000'. Client can be assigned to site <KHI>.
    Persisted Default Management Point Location locally
    Failed to reset certificate request times. (0x80041002)

clientIDManager.log files shows:

RegTask - Executing registration task synchronously.
    Reg Task: Client is registered, exiting.

CAS.log file shows:

Requesting content KHI0001B.1, size(KB) 4116, under context System with priority Low
    Submitted CTM job {034A6CEA-B327-491E-B92B-11F322718B11} to download Content KHI0001B.1 under context System
    Successfully created download  request {293E7FA8-8F30-404A-9079-5227E5FED4EB} for content KHI0001B.1

Location update from CTM for content KHI0001B.1 and request {293E7FA8-8F30-404A-9079-5227E5FED4EB}

Download request only, ignoring location update
    Releasing content request {293E7FA8-8F30-404A-9079-5227E5FED4EB}
    Canceling CTM job {034A6CEA-B327-491E-B92B-11F322718B11} for content KHI0001B.1

What Do you think can be wrong. Why is MP rejecting downloads reqs. I'm sure rights are 100% correctly set and i have tested it last day as well.Client is shown REGISTERED in the log file and its trying to downlaod the files but since MP is rejecting policy request, it just stops.

In anticipation, thanking you.

Friday, February 29, 2008 6:53 AM
  • As a general rule, when one question gets answered, and you come up with something new, please start a new thread, unless it is absolutely related to the original question. It makes it hard to get the proper people to look at posts if they are marked as answered (which they were) and a different question, entirely off the topic of the original question (and subject) is now included.

I want to say there were some posts in the Native Mode / Internet Based Clients forum that discussed the error you are seeing. But I also monitor internal alias' on SMS/SCCM, so maybe it was an internal one. I *want* to day it was a certificate issue for the client - you might check the CertificateMaintenance.log. However, then if that was the issue, it would cause a new registration process to occur, and your log says it is registered, so that must not be it.

Is it just this one client, or others also?

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  

Ok Wally,

I'll definately take care of this in future.

I have only configured two test clients and this one client is showing such an abnormal behaviour.

Regards,

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:35 AM
  • This is how to do without an SLP.

And for the record Jeff I'm working on a virtual machine myself and I had the same issue. This is how I Solved it.

Hope this Helps Someone,

Issue - Clients - Control Panel - Configuration Manager - Auto Discovery Fails
    Reason according to me is Extadsch.exe Is not Correctly Doing its task for some Reason or the other it may well could be a rights issue and of not setting it up correctly in the first place.

Delete The System Management Container in System Found in Active Directory Users and Computers and Start Over the manual method
    1. Create System Management Container from ADSIEdit
    2. In Active Directory - System - System Management Container - Give appropriate rights by right clicking and delgating
    3. If its Not Getting Populated Just go to System Center Configuration Manager and Click on the name of the Site Server - Properties - Advanced - Untick the publish the default management point in dns - and then click apply - then retick it and click apply
    4. If done correctly your System Management Container should get populated correctly
    e.g: Single Site System should have similar records

Name Type
    SMS-MP-GMW-SCCM mSSMSManagementPoint
    SMS-Site-GMW mSSMSSite

SMS-MP-GMW-SCCM : Will Look Like a Folder
    SMS-Site-GMW : Will Look Like a File

5. GMW is my Site Code
    6. If this is ok Run the discover option on the client and it should work like a charm

For those who don't know how to do step 2 Follw instructions on this
    http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/616-how-can-i-create-the-system-management-container-in-active-directory/

If however you like to do it the easy way and the more recognized way run extadsch.exe found in the sccm cd\smstool\bin\i386
    Make sure however that your user is a member of the schema admins group and the command prompt in which your typing this command is run with administrative rights. If not it will fail. Anyways if you run into issues with extadsch.exe do it manually like mentioned ablove.

Please correct me if im wrong but this method worked for me after reading post after post, Everyone just gave the answer partly, From the above site i've mentioned I got the rights needed for the task, and from another site I got to know that extadsch.exe should populate the System Management container correctly and from another site I got to know that, the place the client gets the discovery sorted is from there but nobody gave a clear answer how to do it if extadsch.exe didnt work.
    • Proposed as answer by DIFFMEISTER Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:53 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:53 AM
  • and from another site I got to know that extadsch.exe should populate the System Management container correctly
    That's not true. extadsch.exe just extends the AD schema (that is unique per forest and therefore only has to be done once per forest). The 'system management' container has to be created manually (or is created by the siteserver if it got permissions on the 'system' container) and it is populated if a site is configured to publish its data to AD.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Thanks for pointing it out, tried to remove my post but there's no delete button. U're welcome to remove it.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hey All, I hate to re-open an old thread, but I've been banging my head on this problem all morning. I really do not want to use a SLP.

I have done the following:

- Extended The Schema using EXTADSCH.EXE
    - I created the "System Management" container using ADSI Edit
    - I ensured that full permissions were granted to my SCCM server for the "System Management" container
    - I made sure that the "Publish this site in Active Directory Domain Services" site option was enabled.
    - I verified that the following Site Information is Published to Active Directory Domain Services Using the ADSIEdit MMC Console.
           mSSMSAssignementSiteCode
           mSSMSRoaming boundaries
           mSSMSSiteBoundaries
           mSSMSSiteCode

- I tried adding the SLP role to my server, and that fixed it, but I don't want to use an SLP.
    - I followed Diff's advice above, and didn't have any luck.
    - The boundaries are properly configured.
    - When I try to manually assign the site, it fails with the message: "Failed to update site assignment."

*** Things that stick out to me ***
    I'm convinced that there is a problem with either rights or the AD extension.
    I noticed that if I try to extend the Schema again, I get the same log (below) over and over. What sticks out there is that every time it updates classes.
    Also what sticks out to me is the SMS-MP-TST-SCCM could not be updated, error code = 5 message in the complog

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Attached are the pertinent logs.

LocationServices.log -->
    LSIsSiteCodeAssignable LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetGPSiteCode LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetGPSiteCode: Failed to Get Site Code from Group Policy Reg key [Software\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client] (80070002) LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetAssignmentSiteCodeForSite LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSJoinedToADDomain LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetAssignmentSiteCodeForSiteFromAD LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    Site and assignment sitecode match. Verifying site version LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSVerifySiteVersion LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSVerifySiteVersion : Verifying Site Version for <TST> LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSiteVersionFromAD LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSiteVersionFromAD : Failed to retrieve version for the site 'TST' (0x80004005) LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSiteVersionFromSLP LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSLP LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSLPFromRegistry LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSLPFromRegistry: Failed to get SLP from Registry (80004005) LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    Attempting to retrieve SLPs from AD LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSLPFromAD LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSWinsResolveSMSName LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:08 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    Failed to resolve 'SMS_SLP' to IP address from WINS LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:18 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSLP : Failed to resolve SLP from WINS, is it published LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:18 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSGetSiteVersionFromSLP : Unable to get the list of SLPs LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:18 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    LSVerifySiteVersion: Failed to get Site Version from AD and SLP LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:18 AM 244 (0x00F4)
    Won't send a client assignment fallback status point message because the last assignment error matches this one. LocationServices 2/16/2010 10:43:18 AM 244 (0x00F4)

SiteComp.log -->
    Publish Servers in Active Directory. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
       DS Root:DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
       Searching for the System Management Container. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
       LDAP://CN=System Management,CN=System,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com container exists. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
       Site System <SCCM> is the Default Management Point. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
    No Fallback Status Point installed on the Site SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
      Size of Signing Certificate: 0 SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
      Signing Certificate: SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
      Checking configuration information for server: SCCM. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        SCCM is the Default MP. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        MP Configuration for SCCM is correct. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        Installing Security settings on site system ... SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        Security settings are up to date for SCCM. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        Installing DNS publishing settings on site system ... SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        DNS publishing settings are up to date for SCCM. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        Publishing SCCM(SCCM.CLARKEIT.COM) as a Management Point into Active Directory. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        SMS-MP-TST-SCCM could not be updated, error code = 5. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        SMS-MP-TST-SCCM could not be updated (using SMSv1 Schema), error code = 5. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)

STATMSG: ID=4912 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER" SYS=SCCM SITE=TST PID=2344 TID=2364 GMTDATE=Tue Feb 16 16:01:36.498 2010 ISTR0="cn=SMS-MP-TST-SCCM" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
       Site System <SCCM> is the Default Management Point. HTTP=80 HTTPS=443. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
    Comparing PXE Registry SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
       Updating PXE passwd SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        Updated PXE Configuration for SCCM. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
        WSUS Configuration for SCCM is correct. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)
    Waiting for changes to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\sitectrl.box" or "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\sitecomp.box" directories, servers will be polled in 1 hour... SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 2/16/2010 11:01:36 AM 2364 (0x093C)

ClientLocation.log --> When trying to update site manually:
    Setting Assigned Site ClientLocation 2/16/2010 10:23:38 AM 708 (0x02C4)
    Assigning client to site 'TST' ClientLocation 2/16/2010 10:23:38 AM 708 (0x02C4)
    Unable to verify the sitecode 'TST', AD schema is not extended or SLP is not present. Cannot continue site assignment. ClientLocation 2/16/2010 10:23:47 AM 708 (0x02C4)

ClientLocation.log --> When trying to update automatically:
    Getting Assigned Site ClientLocation 2/16/2010 10:00:57 AM 256 (0x0100)
    Autodiscover Site ClientLocation 2/16/2010 10:00:58 AM 256 (0x0100)

ExtAdSch.log --> (Ran it again)
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Modifying Active Directory Schema - with SMS extensions.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> DS Root:CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Site-Code already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Assignment-Site-Code already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Site-Boundaries already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundaries already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Default-MP already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Device-Management-Point already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-MP-Name already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-MP-Address already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Health-State already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Source-Forest already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Ranged-IP-Low already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=MS-SMS-Ranged-IP-High already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Version already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Attribute cn=mS-SMS-Capabilities already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Class cn=MS-SMS-Management-Point already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:33> Located LDAP://cn=MS-SMS-Management-Point,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Successfully updated class LDAP://cn=MS-SMS-Management-Point,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Class cn=MS-SMS-Server-Locator-Point already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Located LDAP://cn=MS-SMS-Server-Locator-Point,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Successfully updated class CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Class cn=MS-SMS-Site already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Located LDAP://cn=MS-SMS-Site,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Successfully updated class LDAP://cn=MS-SMS-Site,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Class cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundary-Range already exists.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Located LDAP://cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundary-Range,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Successfully updated class LDAP://cn=MS-SMS-Roaming-Boundary-Range,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=ClarkeIT,DC=com.
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> Successfully extended the Active Directory schema.

<02-16-2010 11:24:34> Please refer to the SMS documentation for instructions on the manual
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> configuration of access rights in active directory which may still
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> need to be performed.  (Although the AD schema has now be extended,
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> AD must be configured to allow each SMS Site security rights to
    <02-16-2010 11:24:34> publish in each of their domains.)

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Same problem here, can not find an answer anywhere.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:47 PM
  • - I ensured that full permissions were granted to my SCCM server for the "System Management" container

... AND all child objects?
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:55 PM
  • - I ensured that full permissions were granted to my SCCM server for the "System Management" container

... AND all child objects?

I found later that this indeed was the issue, I had not granted permissions to all child objects. Thanks Torsten.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:00 PM