Computer shuts off after aprox 30 min of usage. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running this program for almost 8 months now with no problems. till last week. then boom. out of the blue ever 30 min or so it shuts down. and restarts.. no explanations.

I tried resetting to a earlier time ( 1 week earlier) didnt help.

I tried to boot up from the windows disk.. still didnt help.

any suggestions

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:31 AM

Answers

• Does the machine blue screen or does the computer just power off with no warning?.

I'd suggest checking ventilation in the machine just to make sure its not overheating, but this could be caused by either a hardware or software problem.

Check the event log at around the time the problem happens and look for a common item that appears each time. 

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:23 PM

All replies

• Does the machine blue screen or does the computer just power off with no warning?.

I'd suggest checking ventilation in the machine just to make sure its not overheating, but this could be caused by either a hardware or software problem.

Check the event log at around the time the problem happens and look for a common item that appears each time. 

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Anything showing up in c:\windows\minidump or c:\windows\memory.dmp? If
    so, here is a possible starting point,

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Check the event log at around the time the problem happens and look for a common item that appears each time.

• Edited by Mark Louis Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:15 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:12 AM
  • Possibly overheating? I know if the PC overheats it can cause shutdowns/restarts

Try cleaning the fans and air vents and see if that solves the issue. 

Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:20 AM