none
Exchange 2010 - large emails send / recieve limits RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been asked to allow the business development group send and recieve large emails [attachement sizes upto 35mb] on our new Exchange 2010 server [all roles on one box]. My approach has been to configure the necessary inidividuals with the limits on their mailbox and up the global limits on reasoning that normal users are restricted on their 10mb limit [again set on their mailbox]. Is this best practice approach? I have been told to enable this on the exchange server so can not use an FTP server [too complex for my users].

Please advise

Fizzmo

Monday, March 21, 2011 2:01 PM

Answers

• Any message will be blocked by the limit that it encounters in its path.  If you set UserA with a 10MB limit, UserB with an Unlimited limit, and an organizational limit of 35MB, then UserA will have an effective 10MB limit and UserB will have 35MB.  You can also set limits on connectors to further refine things.  Your approach sounds like it's as good as any.  In fact, you might just consider giving everyone a 35MB limit.  I doubt you would notice the effect unless your Internet bandwidth is low.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Jamestechman Monday, March 21, 2011 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fizzmo Monday, March 28, 2011 3:51 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• Any message will be blocked by the limit that it encounters in its path.  If you set UserA with a 10MB limit, UserB with an Unlimited limit, and an organizational limit of 35MB, then UserA will have an effective 10MB limit and UserB will have 35MB.  You can also set limits on connectors to further refine things.  Your approach sounds like it's as good as any.  In fact, you might just consider giving everyone a 35MB limit.  I doubt you would notice the effect unless your Internet bandwidth is low.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Jamestechman Monday, March 21, 2011 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fizzmo Monday, March 28, 2011 3:51 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi Fizzmo,

Any update for your issue? Above gave some good suggestion.
    In my opinion, I would not set the limitation as large as 35M, it would affact users' experience when they transfer the email.
    Some information for you:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124345.aspx

Regards!
    Gavin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. all configuration setup and live now.

fizzmo

Monday, March 28, 2011 3:52 PM