none
Updating ODC files when moving PS 2013 between dev/test environments RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am having an issue updating my reports when I move my PS 2013 from the dev to test environment. All of the reports are still attempting to connect to the dev environment. Is there an easy way to change connection file to point to the test server?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:25 PM

Answers

  • I did discover the reason I was having the issue of not being able to update the connection file to reflect the new server name. I have the Excel 2013 application installed on the server for the Dev and Test environment, and there is a browser setting in the server OS that will not allow that change to take place. Put Excel on a client, and everything worked as it should. Thank you for all of the help on this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Chris O'Neal Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:57 PM

All replies

  • Chirs,

    Download ODC files local and update connection info. Re-upload updated ODC file to PWA.

    Open your reports for editing and update the connection info. E.g excel reports in MS excel.

    Make sure to save the file and revalidate the data by refreshing the report in browser.


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:16 AM
    Moderator
  • Please forgive me as I am a Project Manager by trade, and have recently been given the responsibility of administering Project Server 2013. Can you please elaborate as to how to edit the connection info?
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Chirs,

    To update the data connection I think following steps might help you.

    1. Data connection library, download ODBC connection file.
    2. Use notepad to open this file and update Server info and database name.
    3. Upload this updated ODC file on data connection library from PWA.
    4. Open desired excel report and select edit in Excel.
    5. Click on data connection and make changes to the data connection property to point new ODBC connection file
    6. Click on data tab and select refresh all data connections to validate you are seeing correct report
    7. Click on Save update the settings
    8. Close excel application and refresh your IE window with BI reports page
    9. Render the report in browser


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:33 PM
    Moderator
  • Thank you for being so patient with me. In step 5, do I need to create a new connection by clicking the browse button, or changing the connection in the connection string? It will not allow me to simply update the connection file by inserting the new server name.

    Thank you!

    Monday, June 24, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Yes, you can.


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:12 PM
    Moderator
  • Not much to add to Hrishi's comments but a couple of timesavers:

    ODC:

    1) Open the first ODC in NotePad.  Do a Find & Replace for the old SQL server name, and replace with the new SQL server name.

    2) Simply drag the next ODC into NotePad (without closing the old file).  This will prompt you to save the first file.

    3) Run Find & Replace again (there's a keystroke to do that)

    4) Repeat as needed.

    Once that's done, you upload all of the ODC to your new target environment.

    Excel:

    1) Data > Data Connections > and change the address of the ODC connection.

    2) Upload the Excel report to the new target environment.

    I actually wrote an Excel macro to modify the data connection with a key stroke - and it works pretty well.  If I have time, I'll go ahead and dig it up.


    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky


    Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:44 PM
    Moderator
  • I did discover the reason I was having the issue of not being able to update the connection file to reflect the new server name. I have the Excel 2013 application installed on the server for the Dev and Test environment, and there is a browser setting in the server OS that will not allow that change to take place. Put Excel on a client, and everything worked as it should. Thank you for all of the help on this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Chris O'Neal Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:57 PM