none
Maximum number of shortcut in a pinned group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently switcted from Windows 7 32bit to a 64bits system. I discovered while configuring my new system that the maximum number of pinned shortcut in a group was 13. Under 32bits, the maximum I saw was 16. I'm using many saved remote desktop configuration file for differents servers, but I can't get them all because of this restriction.

Anyone can confirm that there is a maximum number of shortcuts for a group for the pinned shortcut feature?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:36 PM

Answers

• Found that http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378460(VS.85).aspx

The maximum number of items in a destination list is determined by the system based on various factors such as display resolution and font size. If there isn't space enough for all items in all categories, they are truncated from the bottom up.

I was switching from a 15" laptop to a 14" screen. So that can explain in part. It's needs more clarification...

Hi JF

You found the right website that explains how this works.

It's a fairly simple concept. The Jump List does not offer flyout menus, only one column. The number of items in that list must be restricted based on the available screen space. The only way to increase this space is to adjust the resolution or font size.

An option you might consider is to place all of your configuration files into a folder and configure that folder as a Toolbar on the Taskbar. This would give you the flyout menu capability when you add subfolders.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:17 PM

All replies

• Nice.  Sorry can't help you with that one.  chock it up to the general bad design of that pin feature that everyone complains about.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:43 PM

The maximum number of items in a destination list is determined by the system based on various factors such as display resolution and font size. If there isn't space enough for all items in all categories, they are truncated from the bottom up.

I was switching from a 15" laptop to a 14" screen. So that can explain in part. It's needs more clarification...

Thanks

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:57 PM

Hi JF

You found the right website that explains how this works.

It's a fairly simple concept. The Jump List does not offer flyout menus, only one column. The number of items in that list must be restricted based on the available screen space. The only way to increase this space is to adjust the resolution or font size.

An option you might consider is to place all of your configuration files into a folder and configure that folder as a Toolbar on the Taskbar. This would give you the flyout menu capability when you add subfolders.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Nice.  Sorry can't help you with that one.  chock it up to the general bad design of that pin feature that everyone complains about.

Hi pain

If you have any ideas about improvements for this component, you can submit them using the following feedback form.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:20 PM