Windows 2k8R2 - Receiving Error when logging in ( MMC Cannot open the File: C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager.msc) RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2008 R2 - I just started receiving this when i log in, and also when i try to manage the machine:

MMC Cannot open the File:
    C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager.msc

This may be because the file does not exist , is not an MMC console , or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

This always worked before, and works for other users just not me on this particular box. This is a production box and i need a resolution quick please. Thanks in advance.

PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

--This always worked before, and works for other users just not me on this particular box

Are you sure that other accounts can open ServerMaanger.msc? If that’s true, then very likely it’s a permission related. Please make sure that your account is a member of Administrators group. Only local administrators can open Server Manager.

There is a cache file for the MMC you can try delete. It's C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC on a Windows 2008 R2 server, deleting or rename MMC folder and check the result.

Furthermore, as Dave suggested, post the CheckSUR log for further research.

Thanks
    Zhang

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:52 AM

All replies

• Has the system update readiness tool been run without error?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

Then check the %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log file for errors.

You can also try creating a new MSC

Start|Run|"mmc"|File|Add/Remove|Server Manager|Add|Local|OK|OK|File|Save As

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, April 6, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Hello,

--This always worked before, and works for other users just not me on this particular box

Are you sure that other accounts can open ServerMaanger.msc? If that’s true, then very likely it’s a permission related. Please make sure that your account is a member of Administrators group. Only local administrators can open Server Manager.

There is a cache file for the MMC you can try delete. It's C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC on a Windows 2008 R2 server, deleting or rename MMC folder and check the result.

Thanks
    Zhang

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Hello there,

Just wanted to drop a line here and confirm renaming cache folder did the trick for me on Windows Server 2012 RTM as well. 

I was getting the error " mmc cannot open the file c:\Windows\system32\virtmgnt.msc " for the hyper-v manager on a standalone workgroup installation of the Server 2012. As I had no other account but the default Local Administrator account on the system it probably wasn't a permissions issue.

I'm not why this happened after successfully building 2 VMs using the hyper-v manager but nevertheless cache file did the trick for me and thought let the rest of the community know.

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi, I'd like to confirm that deleting the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC folder on Windows 8 fixed this error for me:

MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\virtmgmt.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:07 PM
  • I ran into this problem today too, and this answer was close but will not be correct for all cases.  Instead of %username%, it should be:

C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC

Thanks for posting it though, it got me to the solution.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:58 PM
  • Bingo. Deleting the MMC cache folder worked for me. The only thing I can't understand is the why. I could understand corruption if there was a hard drive problem or a bad shut down, but that is not the case. Never the less, thank you very much.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:06 AM
  • Bingo. Deleting the MMC cache folder worked for me. The only thing I can't understand is the why. I could understand corruption if there was a hard drive problem or a bad shut down, but that is not the case. Never the less, thank you very much.

Wow! That was EASY! After searching through many posts, and trying many recommended solutions that didn't work. Deleting the MMC cache was all it took. Time to fix problem, only a few seconds. Time to find working solution, hours!
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:58 PM
  • I'd like to echo Troy Blackburn's comment!

Thanks for this solution.  Once again, I've reinforced the fact that I'm not that smart.  I just have to be smart enough to put the correct search terms into a search engine to find solutions.

Thank you for saving my bacon.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:26 AM
  • Did you have to reboot?  I tried renaming that folder and NO MMC works.  Services.msc wont load, server manager wont load.  Also none of the Active dir tools load (ADUC, Site and services, etc)
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:15 PM
  • perfet

I had the same issue with exchange console.

I don't like to delete files, so...

I renamed the file c:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\Exchange Management Console.

after that (and wasn't need to reboot) I could access the snap-in once again. When I quit, it created a new Exchange Management Console file in the MMC folder 

Friday, March 7, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Thank you! For this!
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:35 PM
  • where did you edit the file if you don't mind me asking
    Monday, October 20, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks
    Zhang

Thanks very much for your post! It work!
    Monday, August 31, 2015 1:24 PM
  • I'd like to confirm that it works on server2012 r2 as well.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:34 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks this suggestion worked nicely.

Friday, January 22, 2016 7:53 AM
  • I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2 and this did the trick for me (current date: 9/25/2019). Thank you!  Of all the posts that I've read trying to resolve this issue, this is the only one that worked!
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:37 AM