none
Copy data from one column to another using a calculated column RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Objective - There is a hidden column A in the list. I need it to display the values in the list display form, ie AllItem.aspx. (Without object model)

Method used to achieve the above - Created a new calculated column B with the formula =[A]. Assumed this will copy all the data from A to B.

Problem - The new calculated column is not getting created with the formula =[A].

Probable Reason - I am not allowed to implement the above idea using a hidden column. Is it true or am I missing something here?

Thanks in Advance

Shameej
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:01 PM calculated columns are standard functionality. So admin not programming (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Shameej,

Would you provide more information about your issue?

1.       What kind of column is your hidden column ? Is it a calculated column ?

2.        How do you hide the column ? By editing the content type of the list or through coding?

If you want to show the values of a hidden column ,you can just unhide it .Or you can create a workflow to update the a custom column(not the calculated column) to the  value of the hidden column .

1.       Create a new column which is  of the same type with  the hidden column .

2.       Create a workflow to start when an item is created or changed .

3.       Set the action as ‘update list item’ .Set the custom column to have the value of the hidden column .

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 26, 2011 6:28 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:49 AM