none
an unknown error has occurred RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Yoavs,

Usually when some users get this error and others don't, it is caused by a SQL timeout, please could you try updating the database statistics on the PWA Published database then ask the user to retest. To update the database statistics open SQL Server Management Studio, connect to your Database engine, click new query, select the PWA Published database from the drop down menu next to the execute button. Type exec sp_updatestats and click the execute button.

Once this has executed please retest the tasks page.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to ask

Hope this helps?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather
    • Marked as answer by Yoavs Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:28 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Yoavs,

Usually when some users get this error and others don't, it is caused by a SQL timeout, please could you try updating the database statistics on the PWA Published database then ask the user to retest. To update the database statistics open SQL Server Management Studio, connect to your Database engine, click new query, select the PWA Published database from the drop down menu next to the execute button. Type exec sp_updatestats and click the execute button.

Once this has executed please retest the tasks page.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to ask

Hope this helps?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather
    • Marked as answer by Yoavs Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:28 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Hi Yoavs,

I would have a bit more of a look and try and see if there is more evidence before changing settings. Is there anything of use in the Event Logs, or perhaps the ULS logs?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I agree with Alexander.... plus I would start SQL tracing and see if I can catch the error when it happens.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hi, Paul

I tried your suggestion, and it resolved the issue.

Many thanks!

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hello Paul,

I'm receiving "an unknown error has occurred" message, while trying to manage users / groups / permissions and even if I want to access Enterprise Project Types page.

My Permissions:

I am member of Administrators, Portfolio Managers, Project Managers and Team Members. No security category is assigned to me individually.

Kindly suggest if there are any recommendations.

Thanks in Advance!

Asif Allauddin, PMP

Friday, August 19, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

What is the impact of executing this query sp_updatestats ? How will it affect the data in the database. I am fairly new so please explain in details.

Thanks

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Basically this query updates the database statists which helps to find the data more quickly

Here is the TechNet article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190397.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173804.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:55 PM