An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys

I am running a small business, and i have 9 desctops one running windows server 2008r2, i am trying to configer it so that all the other computers can carriedout all the activities through the Server, currently i cant afford to have one it expert to setup it for me coz its very remort area finding expert is not posible, so with my little it background  i have done some reseach and tried to connect throgh there server. when i try to long on using one client computer it display this the following msg

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "egl-underground.mainframe":

An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain.

I am running windows server 2008 R2 trying to connect with a windows 7 computer.
    I have already set the DNS in my computer to the Server running DNS Server (same as DC server)
    I can ping the server, i can nslookup the FQDN aswell with no problems.

Any help?

Here is the the Diagnostic Test too

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\Administrator.SERVER.001> DCDiag/test:dns
    The term 'DCDiag/test:dns' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
     the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:16
    + DCDiag/test:dns <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (DCDiag/test:dns:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Administrator.SERVER.001> DCDiag /test:dns

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
       Trying to find home server...
       Home Server = SERVER
       * Identified AD Forest.
       Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SERVER
          Starting test: Connectivity
             ......................... SERVER passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SERVER

Starting test: DNS

DNS Tests are running and not hung. Please wait a few minutes...
             ......................... SERVER passed test DNS

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones

Running partition tests on : Schema

Running partition tests on : Configuration

Running partition tests on : VeymandooCourt

Running enterprise tests on : VeymandooCourt.gov.mv
          Starting test: DNS
             Test results for domain controllers:

DC: SERVER.VeymandooCourt.gov.mv
                Domain: VeymandooCourt.gov.mv

TEST: Forwarders/Root hints (Forw)
                      Error: All forwarders in the forwarder list are invalid.
                      Error: Both root hints and forwarders are not configured or broken. Please make sure at least one of
                      them works.

TEST: Dynamic update (Dyn)
                      Warning: Failed to delete the test record dcdiag-test-record in zone VeymandooCourt.gov.mv

Summary of test results for DNS servers used by the above domain controllers:

DNS server: 128.63.2.53 (h.root-servers.net.)
                   1 test failure on this DNS server
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 128.63.2.53
                DNS server: 128.8.10.90 (d.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 128.8.10.90
                DNS server: 192.112.36.4 (g.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 192.112.36.4
                DNS server: 192.203.230.10 (e.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 192.203.230.10
                DNS server: 192.228.79.201 (b.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 192.228.79.201
                DNS server: 192.33.4.12 (c.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 192.33.4.12
                DNS server: 192.36.148.17 (i.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 192.36.148.17
                DNS server: 192.5.5.241 (f.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 192.5.5.241
                DNS server: 192.58.128.30 (j.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 192.58.128.30
                DNS server: 193.0.14.129 (k.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 193.0.14.129
                DNS server: 198.41.0.4 (a.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 198.41.0.4
                DNS server: 199.7.83.42 (l.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 199.7.83.42
                DNS server: 202.12.27.33 (m.root-servers.net.)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 202.12.27.33
                DNS server: 4.4.4.2 (<name unavailable>)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 4.4.4.2
                DNS server: 8.80.8.8 (<name unavailable>)
                   PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DNS server 8.80.8.8
             Summary of DNS test results:

Auth Basc Forw Del  Dyn  RReg Ext
                _________________________________________________________________
                Domain: VeymandooCourt.gov.mv
                   SERVER                       PASS PASS FAIL PASS WARN PASS n/a

......................... VeymandooCourt.gov.mv failed test DNS
    PS C:\Users\Administrator.SERVER.001>

Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:06 AM

Answers

• Ok i found that server is Correctly configured its only the problem with Windows 7 Machines, i can join usin XP machines

so i did some reaserch and i found that windows 7 meching todnot take Server, DNS Ip Address Autometically, but XP machine takes it autometically. So that gives me clue where the problem is with the Windows 7 client machines

to solve the problem what i did was

Go go Winodows client 7 machine > Network and Sharing Center > change Addepter Setting > Right Click Local Network Connection and Click Properties

Double Click TPC/IPv4 

from there  click use the following DNS Server Address

1. type the IP address of your Server as prefered DNS server (Not the DNS  Address of Your Server, your Sever will be like 127.0.0.1 not this one just IP Address of Your Server)

2. Type Alt DNS as your Preference what i typed is 8.8.8.8 it is universal opened DNS

Clik ok now try the machin it will be able to join the netwerk server

for me it worked

and thanks for the reply

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:21 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the DNS is not configured properly on your server. So I suggest that you could do the nslookup test on the affected Windows 7 client.

Open the command prompt:

Nslookup

Set type=srv

_ldap._tcp.dc_msdcs.domain.name

Note: Your domain controllers should be listed if configured properly. (Replace domain.name with your real domain name).

And let me know how many DCs included in your org? Then enter theipconfig /all on the affected Windows 7 client. And post back the returned result.

On the server side, please run the following command in the command prompt:

netdom -query dc

netdom -query fsmo

Also paste the output result back.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Ok i found that server is Correctly configured its only the problem with Windows 7 Machines, i can join usin XP machines

so i did some reaserch and i found that windows 7 meching todnot take Server, DNS Ip Address Autometically, but XP machine takes it autometically. So that gives me clue where the problem is with the Windows 7 client machines

to solve the problem what i did was

Go go Winodows client 7 machine > Network and Sharing Center > change Addepter Setting > Right Click Local Network Connection and Click Properties

Double Click TPC/IPv4 

from there  click use the following DNS Server Address

1. type the IP address of your Server as prefered DNS server (Not the DNS  Address of Your Server, your Sever will be like 127.0.0.1 not this one just IP Address of Your Server)

2. Type Alt DNS as your Preference what i typed is 8.8.8.8 it is universal opened DNS

Clik ok now try the machin it will be able to join the netwerk server

for me it worked

and thanks for the reply

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:21 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to know the issue got fixed from your side, thanks for your time and notification.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Works like a charm!!! Thanks a lot. Wonder when MS is going to fix this
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:10 PM
  • I tried the NSLookup and it could not locate the server, but the Netdom cLI returned the name of the DC. I have been having small issues and I think the solution for this will fix a number of other issues.
    Friday, September 11, 2015 9:38 PM