none
Hyper-V + clusterd storage spaces (storage spaces with JBOD)

Question

• Hi,

Can I deploy Hyper-V and clusterd storage spaces (storage spaces with JBOD) in the same (single) cluster? Both roles on the same ?

For example, 2 hosts and 1 sas-jbod.

• Edited by yahonts Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:57 AM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Yahonts,

>>Can I deploy Hyper-V and clusterd storage spaces (storage spaces with JBOD) in the same (single) cluster? Both roles on the same ?

Technically, it is supported.

For performance and stability concern, it is not recommended to install the roles on same server.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by yahonts Friday, March 24, 2017 11:54 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:04 AM

All replies

• Windows Server 2016 has a new capability called Storage Spaces Direct that does this.  It uses storage local to each node in the cluster instead of a shared storage shelf. Otherwise you will need to consider third-party software from Starwind or HPE.

tim

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Thanks, i know.

Do you mean that MS doesnt support both roles on the same cluster?

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:38 PM
  • Depends upon what you are trying to do.  Microsoft does not recommend mixing roles like Hyper-V and Storage Spaces, but it can be done.  However, if you want to have clustered storage spaces and Hyper-V on the same cluster and then have the clustered Hyper-V using the storage provided by clustered storage spaces, then that is not supported.

tim

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:43 PM
  •  not supported (in case of problems by MS support team) or win server dont allow me to enable both roles on same cluster (to make HCI on clusterd SS)? 
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi Yahonts,

>>Can I deploy Hyper-V and clusterd storage spaces (storage spaces with JBOD) in the same (single) cluster? Both roles on the same ?

Technically, it is supported.

For performance and stability concern, it is not recommended to install the roles on same server.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by yahonts Friday, March 24, 2017 11:54 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:04 AM
  • As already mentioned by Tim Cerling (Thanks for the reference!), you can use StarWind VSAN https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san which is not a Windows role but a 3-rd party service that perfectly conjoins with Hyper-V on the same physical host. I hope the following guide https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-hyper-converged-2-nodes-scenario-2-nodes-with-hyper-v-cluster that describes your particular scenario will give you some more understanding of how such configuration actually works. 
    • Proposed as answer by OlesBorys Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:46 PM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:28 AM