none
Software Update Summarization process uses 90% of CPU

Question

• I have SCCM2012 SP1 and SQL2008R2. I found that each hour I got sqlserver.exe 90% of CPU.

I started some digging and found on sql that "exec spTask_SUM_UpdateStatusSummarizer" uses CPU a lot.

What can cause that? I have default value 1 hour in Schedule Summarization un der Software Updates and 6 hours for SUP role.

Friday, February 01, 2013 10:02 AM

Answers

• Depending on what you have for number / speed of the CPU's, this might be normal.  Summarizing the software update data is an incredibly intensive SQL process.  Basically if you have 10,000 computers and each and every one of those 10,000 computers has 5,000 updates with a status of required/installed/not required/unknown, it is going to thrash your processors a bit.

You can turn the summarization down to once per day (or 4/8 hours) if you don't need live data.  If you don't have someone in there looking at the summarized data all the time, its a waste of CPU to have it summarize it every hour.

Most of the extremely large organizations (100,000+) clients set this to the max it allows, and manually initialize the summarization only when they actually need the data.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:12 AM

All replies

• Did this start after upgrading With Service Pack 1?

Can U try to turn off the Site System Status Summarizer and see if that helps.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc180974.aspx

Nicolai

Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:54 PM
  • Depending on what you have for number / speed of the CPU's, this might be normal.  Summarizing the software update data is an incredibly intensive SQL process.  Basically if you have 10,000 computers and each and every one of those 10,000 computers has 5,000 updates with a status of required/installed/not required/unknown, it is going to thrash your processors a bit.

You can turn the summarization down to once per day (or 4/8 hours) if you don't need live data.  If you don't have someone in there looking at the summarized data all the time, its a waste of CPU to have it summarize it every hour.

Most of the extremely large organizations (100,000+) clients set this to the max it allows, and manually initialize the summarization only when they actually need the data.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Hi

I will try to turn off summarization. I guess that started after upgrade.

We have only 700 clients.

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Another thing to check is if you have the indexing tasks enabled for the site, sometimes your tables need to be indexed to be more efficient overall (via the built in task)

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:59 AM
  • I also posted about this;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagergeneral/thread/5a8adf02-7e9f-40e2-b849-f7c6135d7312

This heavy load is occuring on a Virtual Server with 4 cores and 12GB RAM (with 8GB assigned to SQL, and 10GB in use overall) - it lives on a well-maintained Virtual Host that is not over-committed.  Is the answer really just to turn the summarization frequency down?  That does not seem acceptable on an infrastructure that is supporting less than a couple hundred client systems (of which 99% are server systems and remain on all through the day)

Is it supported to run SQL maintenance tasks and BPA/Optimization processes against the ConfigMgr database?

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Yes that's the same. Looks like this is SP1 issue.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 11:17 AM
  • I'm also experiencing this issue.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 11:58 AM
  • We see the same behaviour (i started a thread about it yesterday) -  but if this is a "feature" as suggested in the replies here, rather than something misbehaving, I suppose alot of people have it.

It does seem strange to me, that the same command "exec spTask_SUM_UpdateStatusSummarizer NULL, 0x0000000000000000" runs hundreds of times after each other, and the amount of reads and writes for it are approximately the same. 

From what I can see in the procedure, running it just once should do the job - but then again, I dont really have much insight into how SCCM works.

• Edited by DBArrr Friday, February 22, 2013 12:40 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 12:39 PM
  • MadLuka - If you have plenty of hardware resources and only a couple hundred clients, then summarizing software updates should only take a minute.  If you are seeing it max out the processor for an extended period of time with that few clients, then something is wrong.  If possible, you should open a support case with Microsoft.

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Although upgrading to SP1 will set the Summarization Schedule back to 1 hour if you had previously changed it to longer, it should not take any more resources than it took pre-SP1.  If you are seeing a significant hit from summarizing that was not there before, be sure to enable the indexing tasks as Sherry recommended.  If you still have a problem, you should consider contacting Microsoft Support.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:09 PM
  • >>

I have SCCM2012 SP1 and SQL2008R2. I found that each hour I got sqlserver.exe 90% of CPU.

I started some digging and found on sql that "exec spTask_SUM_UpdateStatusSummarizer" uses CPU a lot.

What can cause that? I have default value 1 hour in Schedule Summarization un der Software Updates and 6 hours for SUP role.

>>

We've been talking about this "feature" over the past few days. 1 hour is way too frequent, we're finding 1x/day is too much at some very large sites, we will most likely set this to update 1x every 31 days. Reporting can give you the status you need.

Steve

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:14 PM
  • MadLuka - If you have plenty of hardware resources and only a couple hundred clients, then summarizing software updates should only take a minute.  If you are seeing it max out the processor for an extended period of time with that few clients, then something is wrong.  If possible, you should open a support case with Microsoft.

Oh I wholly agree that something is wrong.  My educated guess would be that the SP1 database upgrade procedure causes this - as I have yet to see this happening on an RTM 2012 server or a server implemented straight from SP1 media.  I will be visiting my customer again soon, so I will get them to speak with MS so that they can try and work it out.

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Hi

MadLuka! Do you have any results?

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:29 AM