Style is Stuck upon opening Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft 2007. Upon opening a new document, Word is stuck on the Bold style. It won't let me apply any other styles. I can type Ctrl+Space and it releases the style. I can also select clear formatting and it releases the style, but if I use the bold style again for any reason, everything typed from that point on will have the style and I cannot deselect it.  I go in to modify the styles, and deselect the "New documents based on this template" for the Bold style. It doesn't seem to work.

I set my "Style area pane width..." in the advanced options Display section to 1.5". When I look at the outline or draft view, it says the style selected is Header 1 upon starting a new document.  If I look at Document Template organizer, the Bold style isn't even an option. Yet, when starting up a new document, It is the style that is selected, applied, and stuck to all text.

What can I do to fix this? Why is this happening? How can I reset my default to BodyNormal?

I've looked through several forums and googled like mad, but cannot figure out how to fix this.

Thanks for any help.

T

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to change it in your normal template.

See Why is my "Blank Document" not blank? and if needed How to Open the Normal Template.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, March 30, 2016 8:09 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

You can try recreating the Normal.dotm template to see if it helps. To do this, close Word, find Normal.dotm template file and rename it to Normal.old. A new Normal.dotm file will be created when the next time Word opens. By default, the Normal.dotm file is stored in the following location:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

You can try recreating the Normal.dotm template to see if it helps. To do this, close Word, find Normal.dotm template file and rename it to Normal.old. A new Normal.dotm file will be created when the next time Word opens. By default, the Normal.dotm file is stored in the following location:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    While this would solve this problem, it could mean losing other customizations. It is better to simply change the existing normal template.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:37 PM