none
Enhancement Requests for DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I have some DPM enhancement and bugfix requests: (Currently using DPM 2012 RTM)

Allow the user to specify which disk to place replicas on when adding new data sources. Sometimes the system is not very smart about where it places data. I've seen it create new replicas on a disk that had 1% space free, and the second disk had 15% free.

Automatically mark expired tapes as free so the system doesn't give a warning about not enough tapes in the library, or be able to customize what the system marks as a warning. 

Need a setting to automatically retry a sync x# of times when a sync fails due to the volume being too small. The system automatically grows the volume, but doesn't retry the sync until the next scheduled sync, so sometimes you get tape backup failures because the problem isn't resolved.  You wouldn't want to create an infinite loop of growing a volume and retrying, but at least let it retry once or twice.

Need more granular control of which alerts are sent to what email addresses. I should be able to send only critical alerts to the Help Desk, but then send other types of alerts to Administrators. Right now, it's all or nothing.

BMR/System State backups of 2008 R2 servers take way too much disk space.  (this may be a request for the Windows Server group)

BUG: When doing a restore job, browsing for items to recover is REALLY slow.

BUG: When doing a restore, the option to overwrite a file on the destination does not work. You get a "DPM could not recover the requested data. The selected recovery point is no longer available for recovery. Select another recovery point. ID 202." If you delete or rename the original file on the destination, then the restore works.  This is only a problem with recovery from disk.  Recovery from tape works fine when overwriting.

KW

• Edited by sdhondaman Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:00 PM privacy
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Allow the user to specify which disk to place replicas on when adding new data sources. Sometimes the system is not very smart about where it places data. I've seen it create new replicas on a disk that had 1% space free, and the second disk had 15% free.

[mjacquet - DPM tries to optimize disk utilization by filling the disk, and is probably somthing that a user would be hesitent to do, you can use custom volumes if you want full control]

Automatically mark expired tapes as free so the system doesn't give a warning about not enough tapes in the library, or be able to customize what the system marks as a warning. 

[mjacquet - You can use this utility to search for expired tapes and automatically mark them free. http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/07/09/the-search-for-dpm-tape-utilities-stops-here.aspx ]  Easiest solution is to ignore the free tapes alert if you are confident your library has expired and other free tapes.

Need a setting to automatically retry a sync x# of times when a sync fails due to the volume being too small. The system automatically grows the volume, but doesn't retry the sync until the next scheduled sync, so sometimes you get tape backup failures because the problem isn't resolved.  You wouldn't want to create an infinite loop of growing a volume and retrying, but at least let it retry once or twice.

[mjacquet - you can configure the auto-retry cound and delay via the registry - see this blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/06/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-auto-heal-features-in-dpm-2010.aspx ]

[mjacquet - This is a SQL performance issue, however, searching can be faster than browsing.]

BUG: When doing a restore, the option to overwrite a file on the destination does not work. You get a "DPM could not recover the requested data. The selected recovery point is no longer available for recovery. Select another recovery point. ID 202." If you delete or rename the original file on the destination, then the restore works.  This is only a problem with recovery from disk.  Recovery from tape works fine when overwriting.

[mjacquet] I could not repro, however, based on your explaination, it sounds like the disk based recovery point was missing for that time but a tape based recovery point for the same time was available, so it succeeded.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by sdhondaman Friday, June 29, 2012 12:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by sdhondaman Friday, June 29, 2012 12:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by sdhondaman Monday, July 2, 2012 1:32 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that is correct, DPM calls into Windows Virtual Disk Service to extend volumes and will span across physical disks if necessary. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 29, 2012 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

[mjacquet - DPM tries to optimize disk utilization by filling the disk, and is probably somthing that a user would be hesitent to do, you can use custom volumes if you want full control]

[mjacquet - You can use this utility to search for expired tapes and automatically mark them free. http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/07/09/the-search-for-dpm-tape-utilities-stops-here.aspx ]  Easiest solution is to ignore the free tapes alert if you are confident your library has expired and other free tapes.

[mjacquet - you can configure the auto-retry cound and delay via the registry - see this blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/06/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-auto-heal-features-in-dpm-2010.aspx ]

[mjacquet - This is a SQL performance issue, however, searching can be faster than browsing.]

[mjacquet] I could not repro, however, based on your explaination, it sounds like the disk based recovery point was missing for that time but a tape based recovery point for the same time was available, so it succeeded.

• Marked as answer by sdhondaman Friday, June 29, 2012 12:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by sdhondaman Friday, June 29, 2012 12:32 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Mike - thanks for the answers:

Re: the restore bug -  if I delete or rename the file on the destination disk and do a disk restore, it works fine.  So obviously the recovery point is there.  It just fails if I tell it to overwrite the file when doing a disk restore.  Tape restores with overwrite work fine.

Re: the "mark tapes free" and "sync retry" requests -  if those are valid options, they should made part of the GUI.

KW

• Edited by sdhondaman Friday, June 29, 2012 12:40 PM privacy
    Friday, June 29, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Mike -  one more question:  am I correct in saying that it's ok to allow one of my 2 disks to fill completely up, because DPM will automatically adjust using spanned volumes?  I just looked at Disk Management, and that appears to be what it's doing.  Very cool if that's the case...  I assume that if I add more disks, it will just manage that automatically as well...

KW

Friday, June 29, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that is correct, DPM calls into Windows Virtual Disk Service to extend volumes and will span across physical disks if necessary. 

Friday, June 29, 2012 11:35 PM
  • That is great - very impressive feature.  Thanks.

KW

Monday, July 2, 2012 1:33 PM