none
System Public Folders Issue after 03 server crash RRS feed

• Question

• OK, Quick background here. We have(/had) Exchange 03 Server at our home site and in 2 field locations.

We were largely complete with migration to 2010 at home site (with field locations still pending). We had only begun to replicate a few public folders to 2010. Replication of public folders to field locations was minimal, as they didn't need access to most of the PF data.

The Exchange 2003 server at the home location suffered a complete hardware failure. We are back up and running with mailflowing fine between all locations.

Here's where the problem kicks in. The System Public folders, in particular the EFORMS REGISTRY does not appear to be replicated to the 2010 server. As I understand it, this isn't necessary for 2010 to work properly, however, we have 3rd party apps that use this for delivery of forms to client computers. (Metalogix Mail Archiver if you are familiar with the product).

Since the loss of the 03 server, the users aren't able to access the forms, therefore they can't pull mail from archive.  The vendor dialed in last week and tried to help us rebuild the forms, however, we experienced a permissions problem, and they suggested we get this fixed before we can resolve the issue with their product.

When I look at the properties of the EFORMS REGISTRY, it shows a replica only on the old 03 server which no longer exists. If I try to add a replica on the new 2010 server, it errors out:

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    --------------------------------------------------------
    The following error(s) occurred while saving changes:

Set-PublicFolder
    Failed
    Error:
    Modification of the '\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\EFORMS REGISTRY' folder isn't allowed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestion on how to fix? I found this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg236889.aspx but am afraid to try it out since I think the registry already exists but just doesn't have any data/permissions on the 10 server.  Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Monday, February 6, 2012 5:19 PM

All replies

• Why don't you just DR the failed Exchange server, recover from backups and complete the migration correctly?

Otherwise you are looking at a rebuild of the system folders and a lot more of a mess trying to clean it up before you can switch public folders over to Exchange 2010 completely.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Well, we were hoping to avoid that scenario. In review of our backups of the exchange 03 server, the only thing that was being backed up was the info store. (glad I'm not the backup administrator). Not sure a DR is going to be possible.

Can we do a redirect-restore of the public folders to one of the other 03 servers and recover it that way?

(Currently, we recovered the lost mailboxes by restoring to a lab box that was a replica of the production server and then exported them to PST files)

Monday, February 6, 2012 5:47 PM
  • If you have the information store using an Exchange aware backup application then that is all that you need.

Everything else is stored in the domain.

Reset DO NOT DELETE the computer account in the domain, build a new machine with the same name, add it to the domain. Install Exchange 2003 from the command line setup.exe /disasterrecovery and then install SP2. Restore the information store.

It will be far easier than anything else that you do and will allow you to complete the migration successfully.

Simon.

Monday, February 6, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Public folders are server specific, so a restore to another server of public folders isn't going to work. DR restore is the only way.

Simon.

Monday, February 6, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Ok, thank you for the response Simon. I will give it a try. I'll post a response back here once done :)

Monday, February 6, 2012 5:58 PM
  • One question RE: doing this.

In our attempt to get users back online, we restored mailboxes to the "offline" recovery server and then re-established mailboxes for those users on the 2010 server and recovered their historical mail via PST.

When we /DR the 03 box and those mailboxes come back online on that server, what will the repercussions be? Will they just show up as disconnected mailboxes at that point or will they cause a conflict with the respective new mailboxes on the 2010 server?

Monday, February 6, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Ideally you should have DR the Exchange 2003 server immediately. That is what I would have done. Then you could have restored and moved the users to Exchange 2010 correctly, with none of the issues of using PST files. It would probably have been quicker as well.

As the AD information has changed, the mailboxes should come up disconnected, because the link has been broken between the mailboxes and their AD account. Exchange stores all of its information in AD, so the recovery shouldn't break anything.

Simon.

Monday, February 6, 2012 6:09 PM
  • OK. Just got a machine prepped with Server 03 Enterprise fully updated via Windows Update.

Reset the account for the original exchange server in ADU&C.

Joined the newly prepped machine into the domain using the same computername as the old exchange server.

Ran Exchange 03 Enterprise setup.exe /disasterrecovery

Got the message "when setup completes, restore your databases then reboot". Clicked OK, and setup almost immediately finished.

I don't see any services in the control panel, nothing exchange related on the start menu, no folder under c:\program files.

Is the above normal, or did something go wrong?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:54 PM
  • No, that isn't normal, sounds like Exchange didn't install correctly. Should have taken a little longer than that. Try the installation again. You should see a complete installation. Do ensure that you have all of the preerquisites in place - so IIS etc.

Simon.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Sorry for the slow response here, about the time I got it installed, I went on vacation. Anyway I'm back now and I've got Exchange installed in /disasterrecovery, then applied SP2 /dr also. Server is up and running and I restored the private store and was able to get it mounted with no difficulty.

However, when I attempt to mount the public store, it fails with EventID error 9518/9519. I found a hotfix from MS (KB 930241 I believe) that supposedly addressed this specific error I was seeing. still won't mount.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Event IDs on their own are useless.

What does the full error say?

Simon.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Cleared out the event logs and then attempted mount. I captured the following events:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS
    Event Category: General 
    Event ID: 9519
    Date: 2/15/2012
    Time: 2:46:03 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: KFOCEXCHANGE
    Description:
    Error 0xfffff9bb starting database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (KFOCEXCHANGE)" on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store. 

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 46 61 69 6c 65 64 20 74   Failed t
    0008: 6f 20 63 6f 6e 66 69 67   o config
    0010: 75 72 65 20 4d 44 42 00   ure MDB.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
    Event ID: 1133
    Description:
    Allocating message database resources for database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (KFOCEXCHANGE)". 

Event ID: 1000
    Description:
    Attempting to start the Microsoft Exchange Information Store "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (KFOCEXCHANGE)". 

Event ID: 1217
    Description:
    The Exchange store 'First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (KFOCEXCHANGE)' has unlimited storage capacity. The current physical size of this database (the .edb file and the .stm file) is 9 GB. The only size constraint for this database is the maximum size that is supported by the database storage engine (8000 GB). 

Event Type: Warning
    Event ID: 1240
    Description:
    The expected registry value 'Track Duplicates' under registry key 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MsExchangeIs\KFOCEXCHANGE\Public-795d2e73-cbf7-46a8-9836-dfd5911dd329' could not be found.  Some server operations may be affected. 

Event Type: Warning
    Event ID: 1240
    Description:
    The expected registry value 'Background Cleanup' under registry key 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MsExchangeIs\KFOCEXCHANGE\Public-795d2e73-cbf7-46a8-9836-dfd5911dd329' could not be found.  Some server operations may be affected. 

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Run isinteg against the database, that may sort out the mess. Also check the location for the logs listed on the properties of the database is correct.

Simon.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:45 PM