none
Double quotes vs no quotes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If I put double quotes around a keyword I see results. However, if I do not use quotes, no results are returned. keyword I am using is one single word (it makes sense to use quotes for two words but in my case it's a single word)

Why is search engine behaving this way? We would prefer to not use double quotes.

For example, the keyword I am using is "parameter" with no double quotes.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:02 PM

All replies

• Do you experience this behavior when searching using other words?
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:29 PM
  • No, not at all.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:47 PM
  • The word "parameter" has special meaning to Search.  Its a part of the FAST query language syntax.  When you use it in quotes, then the Query engine processes it as a search item.  But when you use it without quotes, its a keyword, like Author, File and so on.  Remember that FAST in SharePoint 2013 has been incorporated into the Search subsystem - it's no longer a separate product as it was in SharePoint 2010.  These references can help provide detail on Search query syntax and limitations:

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:31 AM
  • Example keyword ("parameter") I gave was used just for problem illustration purposes. I am not using "special" or reserved keywords for searching.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:40 PM
  • So, you are experiencing this problem then when performing searches using other words?

Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:48 AM
  • it does not happen with other words.
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Diffident

My understanding of the issue as you have described it above is that if you perform a search on the word "parameter" with quotes, you get results containing the word "parameter"; and if you perform a search on the word "parameter" without quotes, you do not get any results. Additionally, you are not experiencing this issue when performing a search on any other word - it only happens when you perform a search on the word "parameter".  Is this correct?

Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Yes, correct. Please note that the keyword I am using is not a special or reserved keyword and hence I expect the engine to return results.

I am flabbergasted with this behavior. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way for me to troubleshoot this issue. Any third-party tools or logs I can use? 

Thanks for any pointers!

Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Please note that in my problem description above, I am specifically referring to the word parameter.  And its my understanding that you when you perform a search on the word parameter that you experience this problem. If you are referring to a different word, please respond with the specific word you are using that causes this problem. 
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:00 PM
  • keyword is specific to our application and am not sure if that's something you can reproduce. What options do I have?
    Monday, January 9, 2017 5:35 PM