Start Menu: Favorites and Connect To RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

- Start Menu, Properties, Customize: if the option "Favotites Menu" is checked. It display the Favorites from Internet Explorer. I would like Favorites folder from Windows Explorer (the one with a yellow star icon). Is it possible ?

- Start Menu: "Connect To" this item doesn't expand the content into a menu. I have to click on it then it opens another box, only then in this box, I click on the VPN connection, which then reveals another button named "Connect". Is there anyway to set the "Connect To" to expand into a menu like in XP?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:07 PM

Answers

• Favorites will, unfortunately, only show favorites from Internet Explorer.

The Connect To menu is a retired feature.  The only left it in there as a shortcut to new feature.  Instead, they intend you to use the taskbar as your starting point.  Near the clock, just click your network icon to get instant access to the list of connections.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by TiPi Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:58 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:58 AM
  • As the Favorites branch in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer, I don't think you can add it to the Start menu via change the Taskbar properties, while you can pin it to the Start Menu. You just need to drag-and-drop the Favorites from the Windows Explorer to the Start menu. After that, the Favorites folder (with yellow star icon) will add in the Start menu.

As the "Connect to" in start menu, I don't think we can change it to the style like XP. While you can start your task from Network icon in the taskbar.

I hope this can help you.

John
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:13 AM

All replies

• Favorites will, unfortunately, only show favorites from Internet Explorer.

The Connect To menu is a retired feature.  The only left it in there as a shortcut to new feature.  Instead, they intend you to use the taskbar as your starting point.  Near the clock, just click your network icon to get instant access to the list of connections.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:58 AM
  • As the Favorites branch in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer, I don't think you can add it to the Start menu via change the Taskbar properties, while you can pin it to the Start Menu. You just need to drag-and-drop the Favorites from the Windows Explorer to the Start menu. After that, the Favorites folder (with yellow star icon) will add in the Start menu.

As the "Connect to" in start menu, I don't think we can change it to the style like XP. While you can start your task from Network icon in the taskbar.

I hope this can help you.

John
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:13 AM
  • John & Shawn,

Thank you for your help. Your answers put me to the right track. I have no particular preference for the XP GUI but some old habits got ingrained. Still learning to get acquainted with Win7 new GUI.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:01 AM