Cannot send 6MB messages in Outlook Express Error Code 0x800CCC0F Server response 421 RRS feed

• Question

• This is the error message I get when trying to send 6 MB messages in outlook express. 

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Fw: I THINK I saw this woman at Wal Mart this morning', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Service not available ; Closing transmission', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

What should I do to fix this?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:10 AM

All replies

• Servers limit the allowable size of messages sent and received. Usually the limit is 1MB per message. You can send your 6MB message this way. Open Outlook Express, Click Tools on the menu, Click Accounts, Click Mail, Click your account, Click Properties, Click Advanced Tab, Sending: Put a check in the box "Break apart messages larger than"  Enter a size in KB. There are 1024 KB in a MB. Once received your message will be automatically assembled into One.

If you have problems ask your server what their max is.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:08 AM
  • fyip, Thank you so much for your reply. It was very helpful and worked pretty much as you said. I did contact AT&T and they said there was no limit on e-mail size with their servers. They said the problem was with Microsoft and the Outlook Express program. Again, thank you for your concise and excellent advice. It's techs like you that really help us non-techs learn and find resolutions. Beverly
    Beverly Stout
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:47 PM