none
ADInsight RRS feed

• Question

• Does the ADInsight tool actually work anymore? It doesn't appear to. Nothing on Windows 10 and nothing on Server 2012 R2. Run it and it's just empty and appears to log nothing.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Steven

apologies for the delay in responding. I've been looking at this over the last couple of days and it seems to be working OK?  Which process are you issuing your LDAP queries from? And if you try downloading ADExplorer.exe and connecting to your DC does it work for that process ?

MarkC (MSFT)

Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:46 PM
  • I was just looking into this today.

Indeed, it seems like the process I am trying to monitor doesn't end up loading ADInsight64.dll.

There is a number of things in Windows 10 which affect *.dll injection, so I am guessing something of that nature is in play.

FOR EXAMPLE the fact that the certificate on the ADInsight64.dll, ADInsight.dll was only valid for 1 year, and it is over 3 years expired now...

I haven't yet found a workaround.

ETA: I noticed that it seems to work for 64 bit processes, but not 32 bit.  For example, the MMC.exe snapin for AD I can see queries from, but not any output from ADExplorer.exe which is 32 bit.
    • Edited by CaryR Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:18 PM Added info
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:14 PM
  • May be because you need to run AdINsight as a 32 bit app when you are on a 64 bit OS

If you run the 32 bit app you can see the dll loaded inside the other process

And finally you can see the output in AdInsight

HTH
    -mario

• Edited by mariora_ Friday, November 15, 2019 8:32 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mariora_ Friday, November 15, 2019 1:14 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 8:32 AM