none
Sharepoint 2013 / Project Server 2013: How to update existing project sites with new project site template RRS feed

• Question

• Sharepoint 2013 / Project  Server 2013: How to update existing project sites with new project site template

I’ve created a new project Site template applied it to EPT and when a new project is created the new template is applied.

How do I take this template created and apply it to existing project sites

Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hello,

There are quite a few post of this topic already on this forum - have a search as you might find something useful. You can manually apply the changes to the existing project sites or programmatically if you create the code to do so. What changes do you need to apply to the existing sites?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by Bharat64 Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:58 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There are quite a few post of this topic already on this forum - have a search as you might find something useful. You can manually apply the changes to the existing project sites or programmatically if you create the code to do so. What changes do you need to apply to the existing sites?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by Bharat64 Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:58 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:03 PM
  • We created a new project site templated that our end user want and now they would like it applied to all existing projects.

The template is Project Summary Web Parts, Project Rollup (project Web App details)web part & content tabs (

Project Deatils, sharepoint list, Issues and Risk)

its simple template.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 4:16 PM
  • HI,

I would look into Powershell and try to apply the changes programmatically

An example can be found here:

http://sharepoint.aspcode.net/view/63539928672422258286960/programatically-update-fieldcolumn-name-in-a-list-on-all-sub-sites-powershell

Hope this helps

Paul

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Hi,

as far as I see you have basically two options. You can decide between the options depending the amount of new customizations vs. the amount of the data on the site

Option 1: You can follow the instructions given by Paul, and apply the customizations programmatically or manually in case there are only a few changes and a few project sites to update

Option 2: You can backup the project sites, delete the sites via PWA Settings / Operational Policies / Connected SharePoint Sites, update the project site template and re-create the sites for the projects, finally migrate the content back from a temporally restored site instance (this process could be automated as well).

Peter

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:28 AM