none
DPM Disk Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. I'm a bit new to DPM (running 2010) and had a few questions on storage pools and the auto grow feature but jobs still failing due to lack of disk space, but on one of the drives in DPM there is still 280GB free?

First I currently have 1TB allocated to DPM protecting around 120GB varying from a 43GB Exchange DB, system state, etc to AD, and then your usual file server.

I assumed this would be more than adequate to handle and allow for a retention period of 5 days, but I had to adjust to 3 days as DPM kept failing on jobs. What should I have for storage to make this right?

At the same time I still have a disk that is 300GB and allocated to DPM and for some reason it will not use more than 20GB? I assumed the auto grow would adjust when necessary and take that free space, but not the case? What I did was modify the disk allocation and gave the replica volume another 20GB and it fixed the backups not running.

Monday, February 6, 2012 9:59 PM

Answers

• Closing for housekeeping - repost if you still have the need.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

did you take a look at the following :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795684.aspx

Now the only thing to do is make an excel spreedsheet and integrate these parameters.

Also are you using Data Colocation?

About your 300GB disk not using more than 20GB. Are you trying to use BMR protection? In that case the auto growth feature doesn't work for the initial replica creation. You need to set the replica volume size higher than the 20GB default.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:25 PM
  • I did come across this file yesterday and if I go based on that I can now see why I've run into space issues. Originally this environment was built and sized by our new provider and after our initial migration we were to take over. I think they have not take into account all data and only looked at Exchange and probably AD with System State.

No on the data colocation and no on the bare metal.

Regards,

Sean

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Closing for housekeeping - repost if you still have the need.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:05 AM