Windows 7 Professional and KMS host for 10 VDI users? RRS feed

• Question

• You're probably wondering why I want to do this?

I understand that a KMS host requires 25 physical or virtual machines to be connected to it at least every 30 days or else it will stop activating machines, however.....

I want to use a Windows 7 VDI setup for 10 users. Each virtual desktop will refresh (old one deleted, new one created) with a brand new virtual desktop every day, so 10 brand new virtual desktops every day, meaning 300 every 30 days, this should keep the KMS host happy.

Why am I not using MAK activation I hear you ask? If I chose this route, then each day that the virtual desktop gets refreshed with a brand new desktop, it would burn up a MAK activation and I'd run out. Because of this I need to use KMS instead.

To get the KMS host to start activating in the first place we'll need at least 25 Windows 7 desktops. So day 1 and 2, the KMS host will refuse to activate my 10 users as the machine count is less than 25, but on day 3 the KMS host will have seen 30 machines, even though only 10 are ever in use at any one time. 

So based on my theories above, I have two questions:

- Can any see any cracks in my understanding of how the KMS host will react?

- Can I buy a Windows 7 VL KMS key for 10 users or do I have to buy a minimum of 25 users?

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to even think this through!

Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:36 AM

Answers

• "Simmo512" wrote in message news:84e0db8f-df9c-4b97-a5b7-cf340b75010b...

You're probably wondering why I want to do this?

I understand that a KMS host requires 25 physical or virtual machines to be connected to it at least every 30 days or else it will stop activating machines, however.....

I want to use a Windows 7 VDI setup for 10 users. Each virtual desktop will refresh (old one deleted, new one created) with a brand new virtual desktop every day, so 10 brand new virtual desktops every day, meaning 300 every 30 days, this should keep the KMS host happy.

Why am I not using MAK activation I hear you ask? If I chose this route, then each day that the virtual desktop gets refreshed with a brand new desktop, it would burn up a MAK activation and I'd run out. Because of this I need to use KMS instead.

To get the KMS host to start activating in the first place we'll need at least 25 Windows 7 desktops. So day 1 and 2, the KMS host will refuse to activate my 10 users as the machine count is less than 25, but on day 3 the KMS host will have seen 30 machines, even though only 10 are ever in use at any one time. 

- Can I buy a Windows 7 VL KMS key for 10 users or do I have to buy a minimum of 25 users?

You should repost this query in a more appropriate forum - this one is for Vista problems with activation - not Win 7 VDI deployment strategies

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:37 AM
  • You would save yourself a lot of time and effort if you were to Create a Mandatory User Profile rather than delete and then reinstall a new virtual desktop everyday.  Also see: Mandatory User Profiles

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:05 PM

All replies

• "Simmo512" wrote in message news:84e0db8f-df9c-4b97-a5b7-cf340b75010b...

You're probably wondering why I want to do this?

You should repost this query in a more appropriate forum - this one is for Vista problems with activation - not Win 7 VDI deployment strategies

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:37 AM
  • You would save yourself a lot of time and effort if you were to Create a Mandatory User Profile rather than delete and then reinstall a new virtual desktop everyday.  Also see: Mandatory User Profiles

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:05 PM