none
Backup of VM fails when Always On feature is enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Have some SQL-cluster and they are NOT backed up by an agent (by a number of reasons). 
    When we turned on the Always On feature on these servers the backup is constantly failing with the error code 0x800423F3

The only resolution I have found is to temporary disable the SQL VSS Writer when the DPM backup is running. 
    And yes, it works but since no agent is used I can't write a start/stop script using ScriptingConfig.xml for this issue. 

Well, I could do it by a scheduled task but from my point of view it's not an appropriate solution! 
    What else can I do? Is there a fix for this? 

DPM is 2012 R1 and the SQL version is SQL 2008. 

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Always-on is a SQL 2012 feature, so I'm confused on your problem statement if you are using SQL 2008.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by bkv22 Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is fixed in SQL Server 2012 SP2

Bugs that are fixed in SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2

-  DPM’s full backup on the server with AlwaysOn secondary will be converted to copy_only backup

How to obtain the latest service pack for SQL Server 2012

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:47 PM
  • Hi,
    OK, but this is SQL Server 2008. 
    Do you mean that an upgrade to SQL Server 2012 SP2 is neccesary to obtain a backup when AO is used? 
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

Always-on is a SQL 2012 feature, so I'm confused on your problem statement if you are using SQL 2008.

• Marked as answer by bkv22 Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Oh, my mistake! I meant Windows Server 2008. Of course it's SQL Server 2012 and it looks like it's SP1, will upgrade to SP2 today. Thanks! 
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:58 AM