none
Why in HIS 2010, case of service name(SnaPrint or SNAPrint) is not uniform on different environments?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have observed Random behavior of Microsoft Host Integration Server, where case of service name is not uniform on different environments. For example the Service name appears as SnaPrint or SNAPrint. siserver or SIServer.

I am attaching snapshots of this behaviour.

Could you please explain this random behavior ? Is it a common issue or observed before?Service Name of SnaPrint Service showing random case on different environmentSIServer Service name also  showing random cases

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:24 AM

Answers

• That's what I've thought ! :-)

Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are not working the same !

You can rename the services using the RegEditor : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\

As I know Windows Server 2008 R2 registers the name of the service as it is mentionned in the Display Name.

I've observed something similar in writing my own Windows Service using Visual Studio and the .Net Framework.

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Rahul Sarkar Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:23 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Rahul,

I'd like to know if the different environments are running on the same OS Version / Release ? Windows Server 2008 R2 and/or Windows Server 2008 ? 32 or 64bits ?

As I can see there are even differences on the service window : ? is missing on the right screenshots, the Display Name is a textbox on the left screenshots and you have the help me on the right screenshots ?!?!!?

Best Regards,

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:32 AM
  • The information is pulled from the registry. How the OS stores it would make the difference, also was one an upgrade from HIS 2009?

For instance, see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SnaPrint and you can see the parameters that is read in when you start up services.msc.

Charles Ezzell - MSFT

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:30 AM
  • The left screen shot is taken on OS: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2.

The right screen shot is taken on OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1.

Thanks

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:15 AM
  • That's what I've thought ! :-)

Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are not working the same !

You can rename the services using the RegEditor : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\

As I know Windows Server 2008 R2 registers the name of the service as it is mentionned in the Display Name.

I've observed something similar in writing my own Windows Service using Visual Studio and the .Net Framework.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Rahul Sarkar Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:23 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I understood that npth OS works differently.

But the services I mentioned are not OS based services, they are services of Same Application MS Host Integration Server 2010.

So the Services should register with the same name in both the OS.

Also I have done no changes in regedit manually. Please clarify.

Thanks

rahul sarkar

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Rahul,

Again, was one an upgrade from a previous version of HIS? Also, this could very well be an OS issue. Different versions of HIS would have stored the registry key different, depending on how it was coded to be written.

Charles Ezzell - MSFT

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Rahul,

The other question here is whether you are having any problems that you think is related to this. If the services are starting and running correctly (which I assume they are), do you have any other concerns other than being curious why the service names are displaying differently?

I had a quick peek at the code that configures the SnaPrint service and it looks to use SNAPrint at teh Display Name.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:28 PM