Can not receive mail from recovered user RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,

I recovered 2 deleted users with Email Account. Since then it is possible to send and receice Emails from inside the organization.

It is possible to send outside the organization , but it is NOT POSSIBLE TO RECEIVE Emails FROM the OUTSIDE.

The sender gets a NDR message of:

The SMTP server has rejected address

code: smtp:550 5.1.1 User unknown

The mailbox is not disconnected.

How can I start my troubleshooting ? Have no idea at the moment.

Thank you for your time and any help in adcance !

Careen

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:54 AM

All replies

• Outside the organizations so internally those both two users are able to send and receive the emails ?
    Can you check the message delivery restrictions  on those recovery users that is set to what ?  check for require that all sender are authenticated and this should be UNCHECKED. 
    Test an email address here. 
    http://www.hq42.net/net_tools/test_email_addr.php?mail_address=btalyor@cpda.com

It says that 550 5.1.1 User unknown and recipient needs to verify settings from their side, like it is set with not to accepts mail from internet etc..
    • Edited by amit79 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:01 AM change
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:01 AM
  • Can people internally send e-mails to the recovered users? If so, then it's possible - depending on how much time has passed, that the ADLDS instance on your Edge Transport has not yet synchronised. If this is the case, you can try running:

Start-EdgeSynchronization -TargetServer <yourEdge>

If internal delivery is also failing, then you've got other issues.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Thank you for your help...

yes I can not receive emails from the outside

Restrictions are ok. Accept message from ALL SENDERS, Reject message from NO SENDERS, reqire all senders are authenticated is UNCHECKED.

Something with the recovery must have gone wrong.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Thank you for your help.

I did not mention: I have no Edge at the moment.

Must be an AD problem ! :)

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Hello Careens,

you may want to check with the email address policy, when you connect mailbox from disconnected mailboxes it will not update the email address policy by itself.. pls have a look on here:

Thanks & Regards, Kottees **** Please mark as an answer if it is really helps you.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Okay, let's just focus on sending e-mail internally for the time being. Can other internal staff send e-mail to the recovered users?

Also, have the recovered users re-appeared in the GAL?

Could you also run the following and post the output:

Get-RecipientFilterConfig | select *Validation*

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:48 PM
  • It does not have an SIP..if that helps you...the box is ticked...thanks for your patience ;)
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Can other internal staff send e-mail to the recovered users? Yes...

Also, have the recovered users re-appeared in the GAL? Yes...

Get-RecipientFilterConfig | select *Validation*

Output:   RecipientValidationEnabled True

Thanks for your help .  :)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

SIP is does not matter here... since you mention its only problem with those two users.. 

Pls double check the email address listed under the SMTP which you are using to send mail from external.

Thanks & Regards, Kottees **** Please mark as an answer if it is really helps you.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Okay, based on the Powershell output and the fact your users can receive e-mails internally, it sounds like the Recipient Filtering anti-spam function isn't seeing the world as it should.

I haven't seen this kind of issue before and it strikes me as particularly odd given you don't have an Edge which maintains its own directory.

All I can think to try is to remove the check from the "Automatically update e-mail addresses" option and apply that, then after a few seconds put the check back and apply that.

If I were in that position I'd actually remove the current external address (shown in bold font) before putting the check back in thereby letting the RUS re-create the address, but if your users' address does not comply with your e-mail address policiy(ies) then you may not want to do this.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:32 PM