Remote desktop connection missing Programs tab RRS feed

• Question

• Remote desktop connection missing Programs tab

This makes it sort of useless for how we utilize it. Is there any other way to launch a program from rdp? Is there an older version of mstsc I can backrev to? Why did it go away? Please put it back.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, we found that the programs tab has been removed under Windows 10 remote desktop connection. As a workaround, here is a group policy for same use.

Policy path: 

Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment

Scope: 

Machine

Supported on: 

At least Windows Server 2003

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:58 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 1:53 AM
  • I was found one not so good solution but it work. Make folder with name mstscWin81 or something else and copy two files from windows 8.1(c:\windows\system32\) to created folder on your windows 10 desktop:

mstsc.exe

mstscax.dll

Inside mstscWin81 folder create subfolder with name en-US and copy inside that folder files with name:

mstsc.exe.mui

mstscax.dll.mui

from "c:\windows\system32\en-US"

Now you can start mstsc.exe from mstscWin81 folder with programs tab in application on windows 10 system.

• Edited by amko77 Friday, September 18, 2015 11:59 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, we found that the programs tab has been removed under Windows 10 remote desktop connection. As a workaround, here is a group policy for same use.

Policy path: 

Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment

Scope: 

Machine

Supported on: 

At least Windows Server 2003

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 14, 2015 1:53 AM
  • I was found one not so good solution but it work. Make folder with name mstscWin81 or something else and copy two files from windows 8.1(c:\windows\system32\) to created folder on your windows 10 desktop:

mstsc.exe

mstscax.dll

Inside mstscWin81 folder create subfolder with name en-US and copy inside that folder files with name:

mstsc.exe.mui

mstscax.dll.mui

from "c:\windows\system32\en-US"

Now you can start mstsc.exe from mstscWin81 folder with programs tab in application on windows 10 system.

• Edited by amko77 Friday, September 18, 2015 11:59 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 11:54 AM
  • Unfortunately, your workaround does not solve my issue.  I automatically start two different RDPs on separate monitors for different functions.  How can I specify different programs and multiple RDPs at startup?  I have several workstations operating in this mode.
    Friday, October 2, 2015 3:17 PM