none
Multivalue Parameter Keyboard press RRS feed

• Question

• I have used multivalue parameters many times within my reports.  When working within the Report Viewer if tab focus is on the parameter and the user press a keyboard character, then the drop down will automatically scroll to the first available value beginning with that character and automatically select this option (i.e. set Checked = True against the option).

One of our new clients has requested that this not be the case; they would prefer that pressing a series of keyboard characters should try to find the find available option that begins with the character sequence (as per the behaviour in Visual Studio Combo Boxes), and that to select an option they should have to manually click it, or press spacebar.

Is there anyway we could offer this functionality?  Can we provide a parameter or something to determine the behaviour of the multivalue parameter field?

Thanks
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

By the default class library, it is impossible to achieve this. You may develop some codes in .Net application and pass the variables through URL. Then in the dataset, using LIKE clause in dataset.

Thanks.
    Yao Jie Tang -Microsoft Online Community
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you may develop a control that response the keyboard press and generate a string. Then, when click button View Report, pass this string to the report server by URL. Reporting Services will get this string, and execute dataset with this string as parameter.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

By the default class library, it is impossible to achieve this. You may develop some codes in .Net application and pass the variables through URL. Then in the dataset, using LIKE clause in dataset.

Thanks.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Could you maybe elaborate a bit further on what I should be setting where, I am a little confused by the response.

Are you saying I would develop some code in my application that found the first available response that matched a provided string.  When launching the report viewer I would then pass through a parameter to tell it to run my code behind the scenes once keyboard keys are pressed?

Thanks a lot for your time,
    Katie
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you may develop a control that response the keyboard press and generate a string. Then, when click button View Report, pass this string to the report server by URL. Reporting Services will get this string, and execute dataset with this string as parameter.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:38 AM