Java and swap RRS feed

• Question

• I thought I generally understood  how Windows decides to swap pages, but I've been having issues with a Java program that causes my system to swap a lot even with low memory usage.

One example is I have 6GB of memory, 4.8GB used, 5.1GB committed, and my SSD was swapping so violently, that my cursor would pause for seconds at a time and changing app focus would take 5-10 seconds. Once the app had focus for a bit, the swapping would die down, but change app focus again and it would go crazy again.

I don't understand how Java can cause my system to swap when my committed is so much less than my physical. I don't have this problem with any other app until I get upwards of 9GB committed and 5.9GB used, and even then, still not this bad.

Thanks  :-)

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What kind of application is it?

What happens if you execute other Java applications? Do they swap a lot as well?

What are you executing on your computer? 5.1 Gb out of 6 Gb is a lot! I'd expect to have a lot of

swapping at 85% RAM used.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, August 9, 2013 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What kind of application is it?

What happens if you execute other Java applications? Do they swap a lot as well?

What are you executing on your computer? 5.1 Gb out of 6 Gb is a lot! I'd expect to have a lot of

swapping at 85% RAM used.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, August 9, 2013 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Any update to the current situation?

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:32 AM