none
MDT Booting with USB and PXE together. RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering how one would configure booting to either USB or PXE (F12) on the same server.

My scenario would be: pressing F12 with no Welcome Screen, just boot directly to the Task Sequence list (currently doing so). Then I would like to add a boot WIM for USB booting, with the Welcome Screen enabled, so that booting from USB would give the option to select Dart as the boot option.

The question I have is...while using a USB and seeing two boot options makes sense, a user can choose which WIM to boot to. Pressing F12 for PXE, though...without the Welcome Screen, how would that boot the pc directly to the Task list as it does now, but now having two boot WIM's in WDS?

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this. F12 gets us to the Image list now. Next I'm going to add another WIM (Dart) and I will have the Welcome Screen off. How would F12 know that I want to go directly to the MDT Task process and not Dart?

Monday, November 6, 2017 5:11 PM

Answers

• Maybe you are just overthinking this? From my understanding you would put one WIM on your WDS which you will use for PXE boot. Then, you can use the ISO generated with the modified Bootstrap.ini (SkipBDDWeöcome=No) to make bootable USB drives which you would hand out to technicians. Or am I missing something here?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, November 6, 2017 9:09 PM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 6:29 PM

All replies

• Maybe you are just overthinking this? From my understanding you would put one WIM on your WDS which you will use for PXE boot. Then, you can use the ISO generated with the modified Bootstrap.ini (SkipBDDWeöcome=No) to make bootable USB drives which you would hand out to technicians. Or am I missing something here?

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, November 6, 2017 9:09 PM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 6:29 PM
  • I read on Microsoft's site that for installing Dart, to add the new Dart boot wim to WDS along with the other wim. That's what confused me. The procedure says to let MDT generate the WIM for Dart. I was trying to sort out how to use PXE to one WIM and USB to another. It's Monday. Either way, I'm installing Dart and it tells me to download ADK, which I already have, and enable WinPE, which already was. Continuing on, it shows only two features listed: Crash Analyzer and Remote Control. The dozen other components aren't listed. I'm installing Dart 8.1 for Server 2012R2 since that is what's on the MDT server.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 8:01 PM
  • Since you are using latest ADK, you should also be using latest MDOP release. 

Cheers,
    Anton

Monday, November 6, 2017 8:42 PM
  • Even though only two components were listed, everything appears on the Dart screen. A few things are gray such as Reg Editor, Locksmith...but I guess overall it can be beneficial. I am able to PXE to MDT and USB to Dart. Thanks for your patience. I spaz when things don't go just as they should, esp with a program with not much of a manual such as MDT, so thanks for all of your assistance along my way.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 9:09 PM
  • No problem. I am here to help. :)

Cheers,
    Anton

Monday, November 6, 2017 9:56 PM