none
2 DPM servers for a 4 node cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the problem I am trying to solve:

1. I have a 4 node Hyper-V cluster that I would like to back up on 2 different DPM servers. 
    2. The DPM servers do not have individual capacity to backup all the servers, but combined capacity it is adaquate. 
    3. All VMs are on Cluster Shared Volumes.
    4. DPM seems to only allow backuping up of the VMs unless the agents are all attached to the same DPM.
    5. DPM will not allow both servers to attach to the agents.

I have seen something about chaining DPM servers, but not sure how to do this, or if this would solve my space issues

Will I be able to do backups this way, or will I have to install individual agents on each server?

Thanks,

Chris Sprague

Poquoson City Public Schools

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As noted, it is not possible for two DPM servers to protect different cluster nodes, only one DPM server can own the dpm agents for the entire cluster at a time.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:16 PM