Taskbar freezes, Icons displace, Start menu blank, Explorer blank... RRS feed

• Question

• I am frustrated with the issue I am facing and seeking serious help.

Details:

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 [Core 2 Duo @ 2GHz, 2 GB RAM @ 667 MHz, 100 GB 7200 RPM Drive, No Graphics Card, Windows Experience Index 3.5 only due to graphics otherwise it is 4.8 least to 5.4 max]

I have been experiencing a strange issue which sadly is uncommon. After an arbitrary amount of time the taskbar freezes. When I hover mouse over icons in quick launch they get displaced and if I click on one then actually its the 2nd or 3rd which actually gets clicked. If I click on start button, it opens an EMPTY start menu with no visible icons etc. But when I hover mouse over the start menu I see tooltips for icons. When I open Windows Explorer it opens as empty window, withi nothing visible. If I press ALT+TAB i don't see any switching window but after pressing ALT+TAB I actually switch to next application.

This all becomes like I am working in a dark room where nothing is visible and I have to keep guessing. I have to ultimately log off and then log on again to get things in place.

NOTE: I have installed every applicable  ThinkPad/ThinkVantage/Lenovo and Windows Vista update but the issue has not been resolved.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 8:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• have you tried this hotfix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406/en-us

Keith

Sunday, March 16, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Thanks a million, Keith.

I am however seeing another issue immediately after this hotfix: IE has slowed down and doesn't load images, flash after longer duration Sad

Appreciate your help!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Weird.  I installed the patch myself as I was having the same issues, but no adverse affect on IE.  Try typing 'internet' in the Start Search box, the select the 'Internet Explorer (no add-ons) option.  Flash definitely won't work in this, but see if your pictures load normally.  If they do, try selectively disabling add-ons.

Keith

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Hi Keith, I re-restarted my laptop and I am not experiencng the problem now. Wierd, huh!

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:57 AM
  • LOL - first step of troubleshooting is to reboot & see if it goes away!  Glad it's working.

Keith

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Correct, and I am aware of it and thats why I said "I re-restarted".

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:41 AM
  • I installed this last night and it was working fine for a while. But when I got on this afternoon, it was frozen again. So I tried re-installing this so-called "hotfix" and now it's saying it doesn't apply to my system. Why is it doing this?

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:12 PM
  • I too have this problem on one of our laptops, a HP 8710p running Vista Business SP1. Other HP laptops don’t experience it, though they are different models. The error seems very random; sometimes it runs fine for a whole day and the next it happens quite often. Mostly it happens around nine in the morning but nothing is starting up at that time, not in the Task Scheduler or anywhere else as far as I can tell anyway.
    And I also get an error message that the hotfix KB932406 doesn't apply.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:30 AM