Why can't AppV 4.6 sequencer and Client reside on the same machine RRS feed

• Question

• hi there,
    I have a generic question. I have a vanilla VM and i wish to use it as a sequencer and a test build and in an attempt to do so, i wish to have both the sequencer as well as the client installed on the same machine. However, upon trying to do so, i am presented with an error from client setup stating the client cant be installed on the machine which already has sequencer on it. May i know, if there are any knows reasons behind it and , if there are any solutions to it, what are they?

AP

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:33 PM

Answers

• In App-V 4.6 Client and sequencer co-existence is not supported. This is because you can see in their vendor msi, they have set launch conditions to avoid installation when the other (sequencer or client) is present in the machine.You can remove them and try installation.Which in case I would highly recommend not to.

But App-V 5.0 supports both. You can have sequencer as well as the client in the same machine.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:58 PM
  • Hello Prem,

That is how Microsoft designed AppV Product.

Application Virtualization Client have Services like Client Service, Service Agent & Desktop Configuration Controller which runs in the background. These are the ones responsible for the launch of AppV Applications. 

If you try to sequence an application which such kind of services running, sequencer will warn you to stop those before continuing. If you stop those then any of the virtual packages which are in use will stop working. If you start these services later, there might be no possibility for every service to start from where they stopped earlier.

As you know, If you sequence an application when these services are running then sequencer will capture changes made by any of these services which are not part of your package. This will increase the size of AppV Package & decrease the performance.

These are within my knowledge. There may be many which has negative impacts & so Microsoft don't want to create Mess & designed components where they cannot co-exist.

There is ThinApp which is an agent less virtualization technology. Hope someday Microsoft AppV will become agent less as well.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 7:24 PM

All replies

• In App-V 4.6 Client and sequencer co-existence is not supported. This is because you can see in their vendor msi, they have set launch conditions to avoid installation when the other (sequencer or client) is present in the machine.You can remove them and try installation.Which in case I would highly recommend not to.

But App-V 5.0 supports both. You can have sequencer as well as the client in the same machine.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you. )

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:58 PM
  • Hello Prem,

That is how Microsoft designed AppV Product.

Application Virtualization Client have Services like Client Service, Service Agent & Desktop Configuration Controller which runs in the background. These are the ones responsible for the launch of AppV Applications. 

If you try to sequence an application which such kind of services running, sequencer will warn you to stop those before continuing. If you stop those then any of the virtual packages which are in use will stop working. If you start these services later, there might be no possibility for every service to start from where they stopped earlier.

As you know, If you sequence an application when these services are running then sequencer will capture changes made by any of these services which are not part of your package. This will increase the size of AppV Package & decrease the performance.

These are within my knowledge. There may be many which has negative impacts & so Microsoft don't want to create Mess & designed components where they cannot co-exist.

There is ThinApp which is an agent less virtualization technology. Hope someday Microsoft AppV will become agent less as well.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 7:24 PM